HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

The love of my HCHII has faded!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The love of my HCHII has faded!

I reckon I'm in the same boat as harold, vicep5 and paul.r too. guys, we gotta go for some beers and trade notes on these cars. I bet theres much more for me to learn about it cause I never had a car that taught me so much as my hch

ks

Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KevinsTop
I reckon I'm in the same boat as harold, vicep5 and paul.r too. guys, we gotta go for some beers and trade notes on these cars. I bet theres much more for me to learn about it cause I never had a car that taught me so much as my hch ks
Few beers is a nice idea but a long way to go for one from Sheffield/UK...,but you wouldn't have Theakston's Old Peculiar anyway

Old 01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Sorry to hear this, I am supprised that you are quoting 49 as the sticker mileage for a 2008, it was changed just slightly after I bought my car in May of 07....anyway there are several things that can cause a mileage decrease...you mentioned many stops, that will cost ya, cold weather, ding, what is your tire pressure? 32vs40 or so, about 5-7%, change in wheels, more weight, ding, bigger, non LRR "grippy" tires ding, ding, ding...

I am not trying to put you down, the car was designed as it was for fuel savings, even the crapy Dunlop tires with no warranty are there for a reason.

If you are unhappy with the car, I would suggest returning it as close to factory stock as possible and selling/trading it on something that is more suited to your diving habits/style/demands....sorry, the car is not magic, it can not obtain mileage without your help....I will promise you, if you are getting less than sticker mileage in a hybrid, you will get less than sticker mileage in a regular car as well, it just wont be as noticable as 15-20% of 45 is more than 15-20% of 22 & it is not always in your face with displays.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Enthusiast

A big factor in fuel economy is the type of engine oil(as my dealer told me anyway)the correct grade is 0-20w....Honda green oil .......the wrong grade apparently does affect the fuel economy,but as previously said the civic ima is designed for fuel economy minded people and not "boy racers",anyone coming out of a V8/V6 is in for a big shock.Just as a fuel economy example,i left my home yesterday to go to Sheffield 12 miles away,i returned home and then went to a nearby village 5 miles away,only did around 34 miles but car returned 49mpg on not to steady driving,i think thats great for an automatic petrol..

Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I like that 0-20 oil. I have it in all my auto's, even have it in my lawn mower.>grin> H

Old 01-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Arrow Re: The love of my HCHII has faded!

Originally Posted by paul.r
A big factor in fuel economy is the type of engine oil(as my dealer told me anyway)the correct grade is 0-20w...
Correct. Here's proof: I had an '07 Toyota Camry Hybrid that came equipped with 0W-20 oil. At the first oil change, I brought in my own 0W-20 oil for the dealer to install. The technician failed to use my oil, as I had requested, and installed their 5W-20. The dealer argued that their 5W-20 would not affect my fuel economy. I reluctantly agreed to try it. My fuel economy immediately and consistently dropped by 5 MPG. After several tankfuls, I returned to the dealer and insisted that they install my 0W-20. They did, and my fuel economy immediately returned to its former good fuel economy.

P.S. Harold, don't use the 0W-20 for hair gel – too runny.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Good thing I don't have any hair , Steve! H

Old 01-21-2011, 06:58 PM

Should've known — no wonder you're so **** likable! You got rid of the hair to cut wind resistance and pick up better fuel economy. Smarty.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 PM

This time of year of O6 Civic Hybrid never had mileage under 6.0 liters/100km. That's a mix of trips, frequently short, and on Nokian WRG2's. Our son and daughter in law have it now. Last weekend our son came by and we changed the oil. I did a short drive and noticed the mileage was at 6.4. They're doing more lengthy trips I think, though I haven't really quized him. They are running the miles up pretty fast, so I assume so. OTOH, they're not really hypermilers...

Anyway, same time of year, same kind of driving, on Michelin X-Ice, and mostly my wife driving, again not an avid hypermiler, but she does kind of pay attention to it: our prius is sitting at 4.8 liter/100km.

The Prius is notoriously optimistic, from past calcs the the true mileage is likely 5.2. And the Civic's 6.4 is more likely 6.3~6.2, going from past experience. Stil, that's roughly 20% difference. Mostly down to a much more robust battery, and a very effective transmission linking the gas and elective modes.

One thing though in my short drive of our old Civic, I kinda missed it: like the feel, the dash layout, and so on.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 01-22-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 PM

^ Joyce's first post... and already providing a "check out this website" link.

How thoughtful?

Quick Reply: The love of my HCHII has faded!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands