HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My car is possessed !!!! =(

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default My car is possessed !!!! =(

So today, I was cleaning out my car. Washing the exterior and vacuuming the interior. I noticed all of a sudden that the subwoofers cut out (they're not recently installed, got them put in a week after the car), then back in, then back out. I didn't think it was much, maybe a short at the amp or something. Except, the lights on the dash started flicking. Again, thought it was the power. Except 20 minutes later, when I tried to start the car, it turned and started, but the dash lights again were flicking, the car was sputtering, and eventually died. Got it towed to the dealer, and the tech tried it and it DIDN'T start at all . Something is VERY wrong with the electrical. Don't know what it could be, haven't made in any changes in months. I'm sad, I don't have my car, and I fear it may be something rather big.

Last edited by mexiken; 11-08-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: My car is possessed !!!! =(

Oh dear. I hope it turns out to be something simple.

By chance, were you using the cigarette lighter when vacuuming?
Or using the stereo (with the car NOT running) for a longer period of time than normal?

The IMA battery can deplete pretty quickly under those circumstances. It could be a related problem.

Or maybe something happened with the regular (12V) battery discharging.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Or... perhaps it was something the dealer did! Based upon your other post, you just had a service done (with the transmission fluid change)... I'm guessing they may have bumped a harness connector or such during the repair.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Flickering lights means a large drain on the electrical system. Most likely cause is a short somewhere.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:20 PM

Are they aftermarket subs?

Old 11-10-2006, 04:29 AM
Hybrid Nutbar

Have you seen Stephen King's 'Christine'. Be really careful, or the supernatural spell of your posessed car will make you fall in love with it and you will ride around together killing people for all eternity, or, until the tranny goes. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2006, 12:32 PM

LOL, yes I have the movie. Big "phew" on my part. It was the battery. The day I drove my car home (500 mile trip, overnight), I left my lights on when I got home. I fell asleep and got up to come outside and find the battery dead. I had left the lights on. Well, it killed a cell or two in the battery, and it was never the same. When I would have the A/C on in recirc mode, the car would hesitate and not act right. Well, this too turned out to be caused by the battery not being fully charged. They swapped me out a battery, and now all is well. I'm glad it WAS something simple. That hesitation problem on acceleration was a BIG headache I thought I'd never solve. Who knew that it was ALL related to the little battery....

Old 11-10-2006, 03:52 PM

This was all due to the lead acid battery in the engine compartment (not the IMA battery)?

Old 11-11-2006, 11:12 AM

Yes. The little ol' 12V battery in the engine compartment. Weird I know, apparently it does A LOT more than most of us thought. Never thought that a little battery could do so much....