HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My experience so far with my HCHII (in Mexico)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:22 PM
New hybrid enthusiast
Red face My experience so far with my HCHII (in Mexico)

Hello all! This is my first post after so many searches and I still have some questions anyways. Ive been reading the forums frequently and learning so many things about the Civic, and I really think that is the perfect car for crowded cities like Mexico City or Los Angeles for instance.

Im aware that there are lots of readers of this forum that live in southern California and Im guessing the performance and mileage per galon is completely different when you live at the sea level than when you live in a city like Mexico city which is located at 7000ft above sea level.

Ive had my Civic hybrid for 2 weeks, been driving very very different as I used to drive my old Audi TT and I have to say that I dont miss my turbo engine. The civic is perfect in so many ways, confortable, great suspension and good in high speeds too. Im still on my second tank since I got it and its getting better in terms of efficiency. My first tank achieved only 310 miles but I think it wasnt really full, my second tank now is giving me 372 miles and I still have more than a quater of gas. My average MPG or I must say KMperL is 16 according to the trip computer, I dont know if this is normal but Im aware that the MPG gets better with some time, anyways, height is always a problem with this kind of engines.

I still dont know how to force the Auto Stop function but I think its working pretty normal now, the process for the car to decide if it goes to auto stop or not is pretty amazing and its very very acurate depending on the situation.

Also, I think Hybrid Civic drivers in mexico have another problem and that is the quality of the gas, its very very bad indeed. Gas here (and I mean premium gas or the highest level of gas we can get) is around 90 octanes (no kidding) which is poor indeed when you compare it to gas you can get in the US like the one that is 92 octanes.

What do you think? Maybe Im still driving "agressive" for the car and Im not getting all the MPG I deserve or maybe its just the way it is because of the conditions of this city..(weather, altitude, air preasure)

I hope it gets better tough...

Last week I sent an email to the PR people from Honda in Mexico cause I will write an article about Hybrid cars on a technology magazine where Im the publisher. The Prius is not here yet, but I think full electronic mode could make a difference in cities like this (this is only a guess, I dont really know)

Well! I envy you guys for getting that mileage!!!! anyways...I will keep posting about he experience of having an hybrid car in Mexico..for now Im happy for not paying taxes for the vehicle (great government iniciative) and happy for being able to be one of the first people to jump into the "eco" friendly cars in my country. There is a lot to do, but hey, one by one we will achive something for our planet, right?

Last edited by akirareiko; 06-17-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My experience so far with my HCHII (in Mexico)

Take time to read the driving techniques throughtout this site. This car is great you can drive normal and get really good gas mileage. Or you can start using methods to get great gas mileage. Not sure of your gas situation but, the HCH only requires 87 octane. Take time to learn your routes and take advantage of the areas that are flat and/or down hill. Remember that the MPG meter is your friend and can be a good guide to better MPG results. Again take time to read and apply them as you like to get better MPG results.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My understanding is that the lower octane of your fuel has to do with the altitude, not the quality of the fuel itself. Most of us in the US get 87 octane for regular fuel, but people who live at higher elevation might get 85 octane regular fuel, 87 for mid-grade, etc. That doesn't mean that the fuel has less energy content, but simply that it is a little bit easier to initiate combustion of the fuel. If I were you, I would just put in the 87 octane that is recommended by Honda and see what happens.

Either way, glad you like it! Coming from a TT must have been quite a change.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

It sounds like your mileage is due to a combination of the things you mentioned. I am sure that techniques have a lot to do with it. Personally I only get about 36 plus and do not really worry about it. Obsessing to get better mileage is not really worth it for me. Enjoy your car.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:45 PM
New hybrid enthusiast

hello all and nice to meet you.

Thank you so much for the positive comments and feedback, I really think also t hat we shouldnt be obsesed with the MPG crazyness, I mean, I would love to get 60MPG but hey, even at this point Im getting 3 times the efficency of my old TT.

I agree that its important to learn the route and try to keep an eye of the mpg indicator, the downside is that Mexico city is located in the middle of a valley surrounded by mountains which means when you travel from south to north you are actually climbing all the way no matter where you go. I had a situation today where I had to apply full brakes and the ABS worked very well, specially for a big car as the Civic is. I dont really know if the car has Stability control, but I was reading that the same model in Europe does so I was wondering if you guys get that option in the US since I dont think here Honda decided to include that feature as a standard option.

The dealer told me 2 weeks ago when I was receiving the car that Honda was going to send me a "certificate" or purchase, something like for getting an ECO car and I dont know if this is only for Mexico because of the agreements with the government or if this is a global policy from Honda to give you some kind of special treatment.

Have you tried to change the normal halogen bulbs that comes standard with the civic? I really envy all Prius owners for having the option to get Xenon flashlights on their hybrids...mhmhmh..

Do you have galleries on flickr or here from your cars? it would be nice to see them...

Thanks!