HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Navi with Doppler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Navi with Doppler?

How about a Navi unit that has a screen displaying the doppler radar for the area you're in? Wouldn't that be cool? You could see storms in relation to where you were on the road. Kind of like having the weather channel on your Nav unit.

Expensive, I'm sure, but possible? Anyone heard of such a thing?

Old 06-01-2007, 06:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Navi with Doppler?

Yes, the problem is your Prius would get 22mpg with that big Satellite Dish strapped to the roof of the car. That's why storm chasers use Vans.

Would be cool though, then we could all chase tornados.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:11 AM
World's First Hybrid

It can be done because the nav screen can be used as a computer monitor for an external on-board comptuer. My step-son modified his honda two seater with a mini computer and built the display right into where the nav screen goes. Mouse pad is mounted on the center console just behind the shift lever with keyboard tucked between driver's seat and center console, and the computer is mounted where the passenger air bag used to be. He still has nav capability but he can also surf the web with a mobile high speed internet wireless connection. All you would need to do is log onto the local NOAA web site and select the radar views. Pretty cool stuff but don't fiddle with the controls while driving. There may be a way to overlay the navi display with the wx radar display???

Old 06-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Why would you need to see weather profiles while driving?

Aircraft use a GPS that can receive XM-Weather so that they can fly around the weather.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

I can get doppler readings on my cell phone, so there'd be no need to strap a dish to my car.

Have you ever been stuck in a thunderstorm or a white-out while traveling? That's why I'd like to see a doppler when driving. I'd rather get a hotel before I need one rather than wish I would have stopped after I'm stuck in a blizzard.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shoebox303
I can get doppler readings on my cell phone, so there'd be no need to strap a dish to my car.

Have you ever been stuck in a thunderstorm or a white-out while traveling? That's why I'd like to see a doppler when driving. I'd rather get a hotel before I need one rather than wish I would have stopped after I'm stuck in a blizzard.
I used to go out driving in the worst blizzards I could find in So Dak in the 70's. Took a lot of beer and had a great time. Sure, I miss my fingers and toes, but there is no use in being a waa-waa.....