HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

NAVI issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default NAVI issue

I like my NAVI, but I do wish there was an additional NAVI control... a volume control **** and/or mute button to shut her up or make her louder! Sometimes I can't hear what she's saying over road noise... other times I don't need the warnings, or I'm getting close enough to home that I can handle it from there (but I'd still like the route marked on the map).

I know you can adjust the voice prompt volume, but not easily... you have to go fairly deep into menus to find it.

Has anyone found a way to mute the voice prompts quickly?

Old 08-10-2006, 01:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAVI issue

Question 1: I have a related question about the Nav system. I've rarely heard the voice confirmation or response but at least when the setting was on the Male voice and I asked, "What time is it" he responded with the correct time; however, when I set the voice to Female and asked, "What time is it" she responded in a gibberish sentence. When I went back to the Setup screen to choose the Male voice the screen would not accept the Ok/Exit button and just seemed to freeze on that screen - so I had to hit Cancel, go back into Setup, choose "Male," and then choose Ok/Exit. When I asked the question again the voice was still in the Female voice even though the setting was on Male.

Question 2: I also have yet to see the "Guidance Screen" or the "Direction List." I have successfully entered a Destination and chosen a Direct route or Easy route but after driving along the blue route line I pushed the Map/Guide button and it just goes "Beep" and doesn't change to the different views. Sometimes when I press the Map/Guide button and it beeps the map freezes and doesn't track my route any further.

Anybody else have either of these issues? My car is 2 days and 470 miles old with the current Nav DVD (version 6.11C). I realize that hills will block a GPS satellite but on the PA Turnpike and I-70 leading from near D.C. to Pittsburgh there was never a road that was "Verified."

Old 08-10-2006, 09:49 AM

Sounds like your system needs a reboot... or a reload of the DVD. I know there's a whole thread on modifying the display screen (when the system is booting up) and some of the notes in there mention how to do a complete reset of the system. It might be as easy as removing the DVD and reinstalling it... but I can't remember (I've never done it!).

My system does a few strange things, but the female voice (Judy, as we call her!) is my preferred voice, and she gives me the time just fine. As for "unverified route", well... we live in the LA area and everything here is "verified" so I never heard that warning until we went on a family trip to Oregon and Washington last month. The "unverified" warning happened ALL THE TIME, and it was very annoying. I wish there was a way to turn the stupid warning off! Oh, and speaking of annoying... how about using the little joystick to move the map position. The "beep" sound that happens each time the cursor moves is major-league annoying! Sure wish there was some way to alter the "warnings" and tones the NAVI has!

Anyway, try removing and reinstalling the DVD... if still no good, then research the threads in here on ways to reset the system... and if that fails, take it back to the dealer. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yea, the voice volume thing is just plain stupid!!!! Why doesn't it automatically go louder when I crank up the stereo and down when I lower the stereo volume. I have to manually crank up the voice and then go back down myself. I hate stupidity when it comes to these types of units.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Anahymbrid - I have not had a chance to respond to your post but removing and reinserting the DVD solved the problem and there are no more issues (voices are fine, maps are fine, directions are fine). Thanks.

cherokee180c - Since you can't change the design of the Nav and voice prompt then you get the pleasure of finding a way to work with what you have. Yes it is annoying to have the Voice volume cranked up when the windows are open and radio is cranked and yes it is annoying to have the voice shouting at me (and the rest of the traffic) when I slow down to a stop and I turn the radio down. I found an easy workaround though.

I turn the voice prompt volume to about 50% and this is loud enough to hear when slow and not too loud to annoy me or others. Then, if I am in an area where I need to have voice prompts I will hear the front speakers cut out (due to the voice prompts) and at that point I will look at the screen to view the upcoming directions. If I need to hear the prompt again I can either hit the Talk button on the steering wheel and have the command repeated or just press the "Voice" button on the Navigation screen and it repeats the last prompt. A good majority of the time I don't need to hear the voice for directions but use the voice as a prompt to look at the screen and street signs ahead of me.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've found that I punch in the location when stopped and if it gets too irritating along the way I turn it off(I usually know the general vicinity that I'm going) and then turn it on quickly again to zero in to the destination. The worst is if you get a call when the voice prompt is kicking in. BTW, whenever you cancel the map just stays there without any guidance of course.

Last edited by SrfCity; 08-16-2006 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:31 PM
www.disczones.com

Has anyone noticed that when starting up the car with a PC card in, the navi doesn't respond to voice commands? When I start up the car and have the PC card OUT, the voice commands work fine. Software glitch? I have the 2007 Navi 6.55A DVD.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Originally Posted by marblekit
Has anyone noticed that when starting up the car with a PC card in, the navi doesn't respond to voice commands? When I start up the car and have the PC card OUT, the voice commands work fine. Software glitch? I have the 2007 Navi 6.55A DVD.
My 07 Navi voice commands work just fine with the PC card in. Never had the issue you describe.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by marblekit
Has anyone noticed that when starting up the car with a PC card in, the navi doesn't respond to voice commands?
Albert, I've had a lot of problems with my getting my pc card to work properly... and it often causes lockups on the entire navi system. With the help of other GH members, I believe the problem has been isolated to my trying to get the pc card to work with a sandisk 6 in 1 pcmcia card using SD media. I believe using CF cards is the solution (though I haven't actually tried it yet!). Just wondering here... do you have SD or CF cards? Any problems with the operation of the PC card (audio or card recognition problems) OTHER than the voice prompts?

Last edited by Anahymbrid; 01-21-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:31 PM
www.disczones.com

I use CF cards and I think the problem may be due to some songs encoded higher than 192kbps. Still need to test though.

I haven't noticed any other problems with the PC card in. All the music plays and the navi system works fine without voice. Also, if I start up the car with the pc card out then put the card in later and play music, the voice commands DO WORK. Very odd....

Quick Reply: NAVI issue

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands