HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Great Mileage and Green
Default Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

My first full tank with the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires came in at 52.03 miles per gallon, down slightly front the last tank's 52.86 and the previous tank's 54.72. The heat is on full steam in Denver, nearly 100 every day, so that too is contributing. Overall thus far the loss seems fairly minimal. The alingment done at the installation of the new tires showed both front and rear to be within tolerances, though they did align to bring them in a bit closer.

The install was done at Sears Auto Center in Westminster, Colorado.

Last edited by erscolo; 07-16-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Exalto tires

That is consistent with my experience. After about 3-4000 miles the mileage jumped up about 21%.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

I was going to get the Michelin Exalto's but changed my mind after checking with Consumer Reports which rated highly on the Michelin X Radial as having excellent LRR. Got about 500miles on them and getting a few miles per gallon better than the old Dunlops, but I also had the rear control arms replaced so that might factor into the numbers. Tires are at 32psi, gonna bump it up to 38psi next week to see if I can squeeze out a few more mpg's. Tires are a lot quieter than Dunlops but they tend to break loss easier on turns after a stop. 80K mile warranty also is not too bad. $440 out the door from Costco, just missed their $60 off sale, which could of got me in for $380. The Michelin X Radial is only available at Costco and Sam's Club if anyone is interested.

Last edited by notez2id; 07-18-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I replaced my Insignia SE's with Goodyear TripleTred and mileage has not changed enough for me to notice. Still getting over 50MPG on my highway 46mi/day commute

I bought these to have good traction in the Winter.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

based on my san diego driving environment and what i need from a tire, i'm going to replace my oem dunlops with the kumho solus kr21, which was rated #2 in standard touring all-season tires on tirerack. i was going to go with a costco tire, but all of the tires they offer are at least 3lb heavier.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Solus+KR21

Old 11-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast

I just replaced the OEM Dunlops on my 2007 HCH and had quite a disturbing experience at Discount Tire. After researching on this site and others, I decided to try the Kumho Solus KR21 tires. Discount's web site said they carried an 85,000 mile warranty, which I though was pretty good for a $75 tire. However, when I got to the store, they said that they only carries a 60,000 mile warranty and that I could upgrade to a Pirelli Cinturato (that also weighed 2 pounds more per tire). I said "no thanks" and in researching it further when I got home, found out that the Kumho USA web site itself says these tires have an 85,000 mile warranty. After calling the store back and directing them to various web sites, I got them to honor the 85,000 mile warranty. So if anyone is getting these tires through Discount Tire, make sure up front that they'll give you the correct warranty.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:36 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

let us know how the solus kr21 performs.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notez2id
I was going to get the Michelin Exalto's but changed my mind after checking with Consumer Reports which rated highly on the Michelin X Radial as having excellent LRR. Got about 500miles on them and getting a few miles per gallon better than the old Dunlops, but I also had the rear control arms replaced so that might factor into the numbers. Tires are at 32psi, gonna bump it up to 38psi next week to see if I can squeeze out a few more mpg's. Tires are a lot quieter than Dunlops but they tend to break loss easier on turns after a stop. 80K mile warranty also is not too bad. $440 out the door from Costco, just missed their $60 off sale, which could of got me in for $380. The Michelin X Radial is only available at Costco and Sam's Club if anyone is interested.
I also just got the Michelin X Radials today and man do they improve the feel of the car!!! Several people on other sites reported FE was the same or a few better than the Dunlop OEM's, so I could not pass on the $380 Costco out the door price, including full Road Hazard coverage!!! So far mileage is better than the Dunlops on a single grab sample as I got 44 mpg on an entirely uphill 21 mile drive at 42 degrees outside. My wife normally drives the car though and it has been very cold lately around here. Her combined was only 40 for the tank. I doubt you could drive a worse mileage section though from the Costco to my house with tons of lights and heavy traffic. I will report back after a few weeks of driving and we get some snow.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info; I replaced my OEM Dunlops with the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires today (on sale at Sears $94 each plus $56 installation rebate). The OEM replacements were $106 each at the dealer and had a one year road hazard coverage vs. 2 years at Sears. I had them do a realignment and had no rear wheel problems (got 37k miles on the Dunlops). On the ride home not only did I get the expected better ride but my mileage was noticable higher than before (after 3 winters I have a good idea about my mileage in various driving conditions and temperatures). Hope it continues...love the tires so far. Will update with time. Looks like snow is coming next week.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

To the OP, my feeling now is that OEM tires are your best bet for mileage. Our '06 came with Bridgestone Insignia Se200-02. I believe the same tire but without the "-02" will be very close in mpg. The big issue with that class of tire is abysmal winter traction, especially once the tread starts to wear. I bit the bullet and installed Nokian WRG2 for the winter months, on separate steel rims.

Our mileage appears to have dropped from around 6.0 to 6.6 l/100km with the switch to Nokian on steel rims (no covers). I know that's not that hot to begin with: we're not serious hypermilers, and I'm mostly the "pit crew". We do a lot of short trips, around town. And that's winter mileage.

We're just past 60,000km now, and will get one more summer season on the BI's. Then back to the WRG2 next fall, and the following spring will likely swap to new Bridgeston Insignia SE200 (without the -02).

Unless, Michelin's super LRR tire ever shows up, is as claimed, and doesn't cost twice as much as the competition.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 01-24-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling, added some

Quick Reply: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands