HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

I have about 15K on a set of Michelin Pilot Exaltos, and they continue to outperform my expectations. Mileage has consistently been 20% over the OEM tires. Road noise, traction, etc, are all excellent. I continue to recommend them.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

what pressure do you keep those Pilot Exaltos at?

Old 01-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

44 psi

Old 01-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Put 4x Michelin Primacy MXV4's on 1/16/09 (good thing I did, was at 3/32 after 45k, and got slammed with snow just two days later). So far, I'm struggling to maintain 40mpg at 40psi, but it's impossible to tell whether it's the new tires, the lower pressure (I usually run 50psi, please don't start that debate again in this thread), or the extreme cold (several sub-zero F days) that's responsible for the drop. Would have gone with the Exalto's, but nobody in my area had them in stock.

Last edited by mmrmnhrm; 01-26-2009 at 07:20 AM. Reason: My OEM's were the Bridgestone SE's
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I think it is probably primarily the tires combined with the temperature.

The Primacy tires are not as efficient as the Exaltos. On the positive side, they have great wet traction and are pretty quiet.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I think it is probably primarily the tires combined with the temperature.

The Primacy tires are not as efficient as the Exaltos. On the positive side, they have great wet traction and are pretty quiet.
Very well could be, have to wait until summer when they're broken in and running 50psi to know for sure. I will definitely agree that they're quieter than the Bridgestones, and *WAY* better in the snow and slush that I've had to put up with over the past two weeks.

Call out to noflash.. What did you replace with?

Old 01-31-2009, 09:09 AM
Flying cars for ever...

This is a great topic and I just had to put in my tuppence worth (oops, sorry that's cockney slang and here's me from Scotland, doh!!!).
Anyways, I love my car. Since getting it APril 2008 I have had the gearbox software updated as the car would act like the petrol was injected with Kangaroo blood and it couldn't be relied upon to accelrate on overtaking or pulling quickly away from openings, etc. Since the updated software though it has been very well behaved and mileage wise we regularly get 47 to 48 back and forth to work which includes some driving (crawling in jams) and some country raod drivin. On long trips we get around 57 to 58 mpg. I consider this fuel consumption these days to be adequate because we used to drive a little diesel car which gave us around 53 to 55 to work and 67 to 68 on open roads. We recently drove a diesel automatic Civic when ours was in for its' first service (12,500 miles). The first thing my wife said was "it still sounds like a tank". Now even though I used to be a fan of diesel over gas (petrol over here in Scotland), we were both really glad to be back in our own car at the end of the day. It is just so quiet and comfortable (though I believe softer shocks would be even better).
Sorry, to drawl on a bit - back to the tyres topic, I have Dunlop SP Sport 300s fitted from new and at 12,500 miles they are down 2 mm (0.08 inches). I reckon I will have 3 years out of them and by that time it will be time to swap the car for another one. I am a bit concerned at spartybrutus saying the pressures for his Michelins was 50 psi and the Dunlops are 45 psi. Over here most of our family saloons (sedans) have pressures of around 29 to 32 psi and my Dunlops are specified to be at 30 psi an all four tyres. Does anyone have any comments on this? I would love to hear what everyone else's tyre pressures are. I think I'll start a new post on this...

Old 01-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Commented on in your new thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast

Have to say that I listened to my Honda tech and got a set of 4 Yokohama Avid H4S when I had my rear control arm work done. Dunlops weren't readily avail - not sure I wanted them anyway after this past winter

So far not at all happy with the results. FE dropped from 52-55 to around 45-48, even after going to 44psi. Not sure if that is _entirely_ due to the tires, since they also did 60000-mi service with CVT fluid, Honda oil (vs my old Mobil1), etc. Still, that's like a 15% drop. Anybody got a sense of how long of a break-in should I expect before the tires 'smooth out'? it's only been about 300mi now.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am getting ready, by the end of the month to order from Treadepot.com Kumo Kr21. Does anyone have mpgs in real world driving for these tires. I had them on my last car great tires, but did not make a note about mpgs compared to old tires they replaced. I will say that after my control arm replacements my mpgs went to above 50 for complete tanks for the first time ever. Currently have 27k on the HCHII

Brian

Quick Reply: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands