HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New HCHII owner with a couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: New HCHII owner with a couple of questions.

It seems I read where Toyota made deliberate attempts to ensure that the Camry Hybrid got closer to EPA than most other hybrids. (Of course, I HEARD the same about the HCH-II). I "think" that near-EPA means for the average-Joe driver, not the hypermiling-technique folks that mostly hang out here.

What that means is that unless you work more at FE, the Camry Hybrid MPG is going to be closer to the HCH-II's than you'd think it should be.
The average-Joe probably gets 39-42 MPG in a HCH-II (using AC, normal to quick acceration after a stop, often driving the 8-15 MPH over the speed limit, not coasting at all, let alone to a stop, etc.).
I also "think" that it means, though, that if you work diligently at FE, the HCH-II has much greater FE potential. The more you drive the hybrid (if you're looking at the instant MPG gauge often), the more you learn what it likes. I think this will help us get better FE over time.

I'm suffering with you on the low-end of the MPG-scale, here. But I am encouraged, as I think I see slight improvement. Maybe it's just in my head, though!
I think the engine just loosened up a little at the 1500 mile mark. My use of the car became mostly city during that time, so I didn't notice an MPG jump, but now that I'm back to my normal 75-mile round-trip commute, maybe I will.

I, too, am aiming for 45+ MPG. I think I WILL get there!

Old 08-11-2006, 05:15 AM
O-Qua Tangin Wann

I am half way through my second tank. I started using the mpg gauge at all times. I am getting 45.7 right now on the second tank. I have definitely changed the way I drive, but it takes me maybe 2 minutes longer to get to work.

I have at least 12 speeding tickets to my credit, so this car is going to save me money in more ways than one.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default couple of questions.

Can anyone tell me whether the HCH2 NAV come with the floor mat or I have purchase a set of them from the deal? I have a feeling my dealer is trying to rip me off.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: couple of questions.

Originally Posted by Mongster
Can anyone tell me whether the HCH2 NAV come with the floor mat or I have purchase a set of them from the deal? I have a feeling my dealer is trying to rip me off.
The floor mats are standard... it even lists it on the window sticker. You shouldn't have to pay for them! Are you sure the dealer isn't talking about the all-weather (thick rubber) mats? If you're in a location with winter, you might want to consider these!

Oh... just saw you're in S.F.... no winter there. I'm guessing fog doesn't get on floor mats!

Old 08-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: couple of questions.

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
The floor mats are standard... it even lists it on the window sticker. You shouldn't have to pay for them! Are you sure the dealer isn't talking about the all-weather (thick rubber) mats? If you're in a location with winter, you might want to consider these!

Oh... just saw you're in S.F.... no winter there. I'm guessing fog doesn't get on floor mats!
Mine came with the mats and I dont have nav - I did upgrade to the all weather mats quickly though because they were showing dirt quickly.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Everyone:

Thank you for the info.. I mentioned the floormat to the dealer and told them it is on the stikcer...

They finally will put the floormat in as a complementary item. **** them! I think I will write a letter to Honda America and complaint about this dealership.

Should I get all wheather mat? In the S.F. area we do wet winter from Feb to April.

Again, Thank you all.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mongster
Should I get all wheather mat? In the S.F. area we do wet winter from Feb to April.
IMHO, the all weather mats are much nicer than the carpet mats for everyday use. My carpet mats are still in the original wrapper.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Tgreb,

Hang in there. Both the car and driver break in and the resulting improvement is spectacular. Our first tank was 43mpg average, second 44 and now we are 90% through the third tank and running 49 mpg average. My wife was really dragging down the average until she learned how to accelerate going down hills or on flats and ride the car up the next hill. The trick is to let fully off the accelerator and drop the rpm's back down below 1500. That will automatically pop the mpg meter above 50 in most cases. Remeber it is not just the electric motor that is different in these cars, but the CVT transmission can put you in a totally different situation than any manual or automatic transmision can where you can be doing 55 mph below 1500 rpm. I also took the advice of others and have the tire pressure at 43 psi and use the A/C at 80 to keep it in electric only mode.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:12 AM
'06 HCH Owner

What looks better with the Ivory interior, the beige or black all weather mats??

I thought that the beige might look better, but the black would look better for longer...what do you think?

-Morgan

Old 08-18-2006, 07:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MWAMAC
What looks better with the Ivory interior, the beige or black all weather mats??

I thought that the beige might look better, but the black would look better for longer...what do you think?

-Morgan
I have the beige and I love them, they are a perfect match to the ivory interior. If you are really **** rententive, the beige all weather mats do tend to get black scuffs and dirt on them. After scrubbing them down they looked pretty good again, but some might say it kinda defeats part of the purpose of all weather mats...

That being that the all weather mats should be easier to maintain (the black ones would definitely be easier to maintain). I think the main purpose of the all weather mats is to protect the carpet, and the all weather mats do a pretty good job of that regardless of the color.