HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New tires - mileage way down

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:23 PM
jes
Enthusiast
Exclamation New tires - mileage way down

Last week, I put on a set of Goodyear Weatherhandler LS that I purchased from Sears. My mileage is way down. I was certainly not expecting that , yet I wasn't reading up on the forums, so serves me right.

I normally got near 48 milespergallon, now I'm getting 40 milespergallon, with the same driving habits. A 17% drop!

I tried bumping up my tire pressure from 32 to 34psi, but that did not help at all.

I tried 3 tanks of fuel from different stations, but that did not change my mileage.

Perhaps it is due to the fact that I did not get an alignment. I will fix that during my next visit.

Perhaps these tires have high rolling resistance, rather than low rolling resistance (LRR).

I called Sears and they seem shocked that the mileage would drop by 17%. After reading these forums, I am not so shocked.

I did not see much experience with the Goodyear Weatherhandler LS posted on this forum , so I thought I would share mine. I will certainly let you know if these circumstances change.

Meanwhile, I would appreciate any advice you can provide.

Missing my dunlops, jes

Old 11-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New tires - mileage way down

Try max. cold pressure. Should be around 44 psi.. Might help some? Good luck ,H

Old 11-19-2008, 06:59 AM

See if you can return them.

nf

Old 11-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast

It doesn't sound like you have LRR tires I don't remember these coming up when I did my research. Also it takes about 500 miles to break tires in. The only other thing you might try is to fill up the PSI to just under the recommended max on the actual tire itself. My Continental Premiere Contact says 44 psi on the side wall and getting close to that makes a huge difference compared to the 32 psi. Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Energy Independence

I replaced my factory Dunlops recently with Michelin Exalto A/S (the H-rated version). I've now put over 3000 miles on them and my MPG IS STILL DOWN a little bit. It was down 7-10%, but I'd estimate they are now costing me a 5% drop, which for me is a 2-3 MPG drop. This is with 35PSI, about what I used in the Dunlops. Not a hideous drop, but noticable. I may air my Michelins up a little more (38 PSI, maybe). They are so much quieter, more comfortable and better-handling than the Dunlops. I suspect 38 PSI will still sound and feel just fine.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:55 PM

What milage did you get out of the Dunlops, Steve? Are those a LRR tire? I find with non LRR tires installed the car will not cost as well and they require max. cold pressure before the FE starts to get close to the dunlops. But it is a bonus having a good handling and quieter tire! H

Old 11-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

If they aren't LRR then the combination of non-LRR + new tire break-in would result in a big drop in mileage. You could try to return them like noflash mentioned but if that isn't possible then pump them up to max sidewall to lessen the hit to your mileage.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Energy Independence

Harold, I averaged 46.9 MPG over the lifetime of the Dunlops, and it was slowly going up. If I had kept them on a little bit longer, I would probably have made 47 lifetime average.
As you can see from my signature, it's down to 46.7 MPG. It's probably been about 44 MPG on the new Michelins. Maybe it'll get better over time.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:21 PM

Thanks Steve, I'll bet the Michelins are a better drive! H