HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Newest Project (Auto Dim Mirror/Homelink and Bluetooth)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 06:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Newest Project (Auto Dim Mirror/Homelink and Bluetooth)

Its not to difficult! The worst part is taking apart the dash but it is pretty much just held together with clips. You can purchase a harness at http://www.parrotkits.com/donotcut.html
Its not to expensive....$50.00. I also called around town and got prices from different installers and the going rate was $100.00. So if you want to save $50 bucks then DIY. If your time is more valuable have a professional do it. None of the installer I talked to wanted to use the harness they all wanted to hard wire it.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

When I get in the car at night about the first thing I do is switch the rearview mirror to Night mode - is that not possible for some of you? Wouldn't this prevent the blinding headlights? Maybe I'm missing something here.

I do wish the side mirrors could darken somehow but I usually just aim them downwards to keep the headlights out of my eye but still giving me visibility if necessary.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

Wow....why so hostile about installing a dimming mirror with homlink?

First off my previous vehicle had this type of mirror (Auto Dimming). Also my Acura MDX has this feature. I enjoy that feature/option and dont like having to flip that stupid switch all the time. We live in a world with technology and this is one of the little marvels I like.

Your not missing anything.....some prefer it and some like yourself could care less.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:34 AM

Who said anything about being hostile? I just don't see it as such a big deal to move the mirror switch to day/night mode once a day. I find it more annoying to have to readjust the seat, steering wheel, and mirrors when my wife drives the car prior to me - automatic seat settings would be fantastic so flipping the rearview mirror is nothing to me in the grand scheme of things.

Also, I thought this mirror had exterior temperature and a compass on it - is this a different model? I have the Nav option in my car so I don't need the compass and the dash shows the outside temp and without a garage I wouldn't make use of a HomeLink model set to open the garage door. Enjoy your mod regardless.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:19 AM
Enthusiast

"is that not possible for some of you?" "Wouldn’t that prevent the blinding headlights?"

Hostile (probably) may be an extreme word, but you basically asked us if we are capable of flipping a switch? Again, as I said everyone has an opinion. This isn’t a mod everyone would want or need.

I have the NAV system and all of the 06-07 Civics have a temp gauge. The compass and temp gauge mirror is redundant. They have several models and I thought adding a mirror with options the car already had would make it look out of place. I use the homelink buttons to open the garage, turn on the lights and take down the alarm. To tell you the truth the homelink feature is the biggest reason I added the mirror. I had those buttons programmed in my last car and found myself reaching for them whenever I got home or was leaving.

Power or Memory seats would be a big plus.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:36 AM

Agree to disagree I guess. I do think the HomeLink option is a great feature. Next, someone is going to offer voice-activated shifting so you don't have to lumber through manually grabbing the gear lever and moving it out of P to D. There will always be someone else who has a different opinion and it is hard to argue with opinions so no sense arguing here -- I just find other items more annoying that flipping the mirror to day/night mode. Someone told me that plugging the car in everyday and unplugging it each morning is "too much of a hassle to own an Engine Block Heater" but I don't mind it one bit. I find making coffee every morning a hassle so I don't do it and don't drink it but others don't think of it as a chore. Just one of those things. We're all on the same page here.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

I would love to have the engine block heater up here in Erie. Its been very cold the last couple of weeks and its destroying my FE. Im around 30-32mpg.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:25 AM

Ack - I take back my yelling about putting in an auto-dimming mirror then <apologize>. I'll have my wife wave at you on her return trip from Buffalo tomorrow. I attended Penn State-Behrend for 5 years (91-96). I was up there the week after Xmas and the second week of this year - both times for work so ended up driving 350-400 miles a day. Yep - the Block Heater is a dream. Instant heat in the morning and Auto-Stop occurs after just 1.5 miles in the morning (instead of taking 8 minutes for real heat and 8 miles for Auto-Stop). That gets me an extra 10 mpg in the morning 22-mile commute. How? Because I accidentally knocked out the plug Thursday night so Friday morning was in a cold car at 30 F and at work it was 40 mpg instead of 47-51 mpg like I usually see. Small world.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

I can't wait for the summer to come. Some people on here are reporting gains of 10mpg plus in warm weather. It appears you are in the same boat...which is good news. I was worried about the FE. I think it’s around 24 our right now and snowing pretty hard. I can't really complain since we haven’t really been hit (with the snow) this year but it’s still been cold the last month. Regardless of the lower FE right now I really do enjoy the car. It is a small world.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:18 PM

Actually, Tony, per the database I was averaging 46-47 mpg for the first 2 months and then 48.0-48.5 for the next 2 months and have clawed my way up to 48.7 in the last month. Cripes - if I can maintain a 48 mpg average through Fall and early Winter then another 10 mpg will be great though I don't think it will be that high. I had a tank of 56.8 mpg on 10/29 (the 630-mile trip to Milwaukee) and the average temp was 40 F. I can't imagine a similar 600-mile trip in 80 F temps would be too much higher but would be pleased if it is.

Last edited by Flash; 01-20-2007 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added Mileage Database link

Quick Reply: Newest Project (Auto Dim Mirror/Homelink and Bluetooth)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands