HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Oil Changes to the HCH II

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Oil Changes to the HCH II

I've got noob question here. How often should I be changing my oil in my car?

I have a complimentary 1st oil change at Honda World in Downey at 3750 miles which will be about a week away according to the amount that I'm driving.

But I noitced on oil life it's at 60% right now. What intervals are you guys changing oil at? And what kind of motor oil are you guys using?

Anyone running synthetic? Or are our cars already running synthetic?

Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: Oil Changes to the HCH II

Rex:

The factory oil fill is critical for proper engine break-in, so don't change it until the oil life is down to 0% which will be at about 8-10K miles. When this oil is changed, make sure that the filter is also changed.

For the next fill, synthetic oil is the fill of choice.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Rex, I did my first oil change at 7,500 miles and the oil life indicator was reading 20%. I did it myself and used M1 0W-20 with a Napa Gold filter.

P.S. I agree with Orient Express to wait a little bit longer on the oil change (you don't have to wait to 0% but I think the manual said 15%) and to use synthetic on the next fill.

Peace,
Paul

Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks guys. After switching to synthetic what are the intervals for oil changes?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I do 10K changes with synthetic. This interval is based on the oil analysis that I have had done on each fill.

Last edited by Orient Express; 12-17-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would let the "oil life indicator" tell you when to change it.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by GotIng
Thanks guys. After switching to synthetic what are the intervals for oil changes?
Just follow what your maintenance minder says, which will typically be in the 7k-10k range. In theory, you only need to change the filter on every-other change, but I do it on each. A $10 M1 filter every eight months is well worth it over the 15 or so years I expect to have this car.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

thanks again guys. I always thought you do filter for every oil change. I didn't realize they would even suggest every other. that is odd.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just got my first one at 7500 miles. Oil Life meter was at 10% by then so I figured it would be a good time to get it done, especially given that it's cold out and you never know what winter weather will throw your way, just when the darn thing hits 0%!

How much did the dealerships charge those who took it there to do the oil change? For whatever reason, mine was $44 at Martin Honda! Needless to say, they won't be doing it again at that price.

Also, for those with the brains, would putting 10w30 in the car cause any issues? I know my old Civic recommended 5w20 but I usually put 10w30 in it and didn't have any issues (except the time my brother forgot to put the oil cap back on). Reason I ask about the oil, is that I have about 3 cases (yes, that's right, cases) of 10w30 of various name brands and some is synthetic and some is not. Luckily for me, Honda kept the same oil filter with the newer models, and my girlfriends Nissan Sentra has the same one as well.

Thanks for the input in advance! Hope everyone has a good holiday.

Matt

Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Rex, filters are cheap. You can get a good Napa Gold or PureOne filter for less than $5. The filter is easy to change and just cheap insurance if the filter is or gets damage in the in side. IMO, change it every time.

Matt, I would advise not to use the 10W-30 in the HCHII. The engine was made to run on thin oil. I'm not going to say the 10W-30 is going to damage the engine (if you use it a couple of times) but you're going to see a huge drop in MPG. The thickest oil I would use is 5W-20.

Peace,
Paul

Quick Reply: Oil Changes to the HCH II

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands