HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Oil Changes to the HCH II

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Changes to the HCH II

So, I know there have been questions in the past, but where does everyone get their oil from? I haven't seen 0w20 in any stores here at all! I used to see 5w20 periodically but even that is hard to find. I did a search online, but doesnt seem to be many places that sell 0w20 from what I could find. I saw AMSOIL but they are like $7/qt (is that normal?? for this oil??). Either way, the dealership put a 5k mi oil change interval on the 'reminder sticker' that they put on the windshield.

What do you all recommend and where do you buy your oil? Is it normal that 0w20 is that expensive?

Old 12-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I didn't see where you live, so it is difficult to recommend a supplier, but I buy my Mobil 1 0-20 from All Parts Auto Stores. They are affiliated with Parts Plus Auto Stores. I typically buy 2 cases at a time, and that gets me through a couple of oil changes. I pay $5.99 a qt for 0-20.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I get my M1 0W-20 at Walmart for $5 something a quart. Funny thing, they discontinued it and then, brought it back. Your right, it's hard to find in stores and some people have to order it online.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Buena Park Honda (knotts berry farm/disneyland area) charges 24.95 plus tax and disposal for an oil change. I bought my car from Honda World Downey and they are doing the first 2 for free. I sent my brother in to buy a car and as a reward I get a 2nd oil change.

After my freebies are up I will be going to Buena Park Honda. A new filter will be used each time.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

OE-

Im from Delaware, or Delawhere?, and have checked the two local walmarts, pepboys, and Kmart and every time, neither have had the 0w20. I'll bookmark the link you sent, and maybe the stores will begin to stock their shelves with it!

Old 12-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

If you can't find it at a local retailer, then look in your yellow pages for commercial lubricant suppliers. They can get it for you, but will probably charge retail, and have a case minimum.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I fail to see what the problem is about the oil.... Why can't the car just go to the dealer to get serviced??

I don't care if my dealer puts the wrong oil in my car. It is their problem not mine. If the engine fails before the warranty is up and it shows that it is an oil issue, it is their problem.

$100.00 to service this car is not bad. Plus all the environmental cleanup and rules won't apply to me since it will be the dealer needing to dispose of the oil properly.

Hate to sound like this, but I am not complaining about spending that kind of money on something that needs to be done once or twice a year...

Old 12-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

So if $100 is not bad to service the car, then $30 must be awesome!

That is what it costs to DIY the oil change. And at least in our town, the environmental protocol, is to place the used oil in a gallon milk container (city supplied) and put it and the filter out with all of the other recycle stuff for the trash guys to pick up.

Then I take the $70 I just saved and use it to buy a nice dinner.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

OE,
Unfortunately we in MD do not have that luxury... We need to take it to a recycle center or gas station / service center to dispose.

Sorry, I am just not going to strain myself looking for oil that isn't sold everywhere. If Honda has this oil in stock, they can change my oil for me and do the other checks they need to do while it is in for service.

I would say different if it was $100.00 every 3000 miles or 3 months. But different strokes for different folks, aye!

Old 12-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

I maybe crazy but it feels good to do it yourself! To dispose of the oil isn't as easy as OE's but it's pretty easy. Just have to put the oil in some container and I put the oil filter in a Ziploc. When the oil and filters start to pile up, I bring it to the county recycling center and they take it free of charge. I guess I'm lucky that my Walmart carries the M1 0W-20 for me to use.

Just my two cents,
Paul

Quick Reply: Oil Changes to the HCH II

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands