HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

riding down big hill with auto-stop, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Doing it for the money
Default Re: riding down big hill with auto-stop, anyone?

I wouldn't resume from autostop going more than about 5mph. Roll all you want, but I'd recommend slowing to 5mph on the next incline before taking your foot off the brake. I'd bet that resuming from autostop at 15+mph is bad for the transmission. That "jerk" you feel is telling you something.

As for rolling in autostop up to 25mph, I do this all the time -- you don't have to brake all the way to the floor in order to engage autostop (nearly any braking under 8mph activates it, at least on my '07 hch), so it's easy to engage it and keep moving with your foot kept only lightly on the brake.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I autostopped in my HAH at the top of a rather large decline. Then, I left off the brakes to start rolling downhill. I get to maybe around 25-30 mph, with my foot still on the brakes and in autostop, and the car automatically restarts. And, there isn't any jerkiness with the transmission. So maybe the issue with the HCHs is in the CVT?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Heh - you newbies. You ain't done nuthing until you've had Auto Stop up to 75 mph. Wish I could have taken a photo at that time. The problem for me was that the brakes kept going farther and farther to the floor and I started to smell that "burning brake pad" smell so I let off the brakes, shifted to Second, waited a little bit, got back on the brakes easily a few times. Gotta love Mountain roads with zero traffic so you can stop at the top and coast for 4 miles in AutoStop or with the engine shut off (that last trick scares my passengers to death - just put it in Neutral and shut off the car and they freak until they see you start the car without having to put it in Park or stop the car or put your foot on the brakes like almost all Automatics). Lots of fun. Never had the rev issue though.

Also, using Second does not stop Auto Stop. If you are at a stop and in Auto Stop then you can shift from Drive to Neutral and to Drive and then to Second and the car should always remain in Auto Stop. If you shift to Reverse or Low gear then the engine will kick on. If this is not the case then I have an oddball car.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

75 mph in autostop? LOL. Nice.