HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Run on Electric Only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Run on Electric Only?

You mean PC or GH?

I believe the best Prius hypermilers in this side of the pacific are found at CleanMPG.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by ken1784
Japanese Prius hypermilers found the other way...
Their new technique is keep the battery pack SoC as low as you can.
When the battery pack SoC is low, Prius engine work hard, or high loaded, or more efficient, to recover the SoC level a little bit for next coasting.

Ken@japan
Sorry Ken;

I checked with the local Prius hypermiling community and we all agree (unanimously) that that staying off the pack continues to be the best strategy for good FE in the Prius as well.

... So, I'll re-iterate my earlier assertion that riding the electric on HCH-2 or Prius regularly does not constitute a sound strategy for achieving maximum fuel economy. Please feel free to provide examples if you believe otherwise.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I mean this place is HCH II-Specific Discussions.
Anyway, it's up to you whether you keep SoC high or low.
I just would like to tell readres that Japanese Prius hypermilers are doing very well with their SoC low.

Ken@Japan

Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Energy Independence

I'd be much more worried about hybrid-battery longevity if I practiced the "low SoC" strategy continuously. Especially in an HCHI or HCHII.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by niteflyp38
Isn't the HCHII supposed to be able to run on only its electric motor for short periods of time? I have heard of this but it has never happened to me when driving... How do you do this?

And another topic--I am still getting terrible terrible mileage with my HCHII. There is no way it is my driving style--I know I have no way to prove it to anyone, but I seriously do drive the way a hybrid is supposed to be driven. All I can think of is that maybe the trips I make are too short for the engine to ever warm up (I live up North), and maybe this type of 5-10 minute per trip city driving is impossible to get good mileage with.

I probably should have researched more before I bought the Civic Hybrid. I think since I mostly do city driving, a full hybrid like the Prius would have suited me a lot better, since it can do up to 20mph only electric.

Does anyone think there is a chance of Honda releasing some sort of software update that would allow the civic to do something like that?
I think the Prius can go over 20mph on electric. At least my Ford Escape can, somewhere in the 30's