HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Should I remove my AC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 06:03 PM
'06 HCH Owner
Default Re: Should I remove my AC?

Originally Posted by soldierbot
Go ahead, yank it out. And, if you only drive solo, think of the additional weight reduction you would reap by removing the front and rear passenger seats.
Haha, I was thinking about that too! I mean if you are willing to take out the AC, there are a few other things you can take out to reduce weight on the car!

Reminds me of the movie 'The Italian Job' where they take everything out of the Mini Cooper's to make them as light as possible.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

I live and work near the beach.
The weather is very mild.

I park in a garage at home and at work.
I almost never use my car for other purposes.
Sell your car. Get a bike.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by kenny
I never use my air conditioner.
Actually, it is recommended that we give the AC a run at least once a week for at least 10 minutes. This will help keep the lines and seals lubricated, as well as to minimize refrigerant degradation and possible contamination. Repairing an AC system on our 06 HCH's can be a VERY expensive experience.

How much do you think it weighs?
Someone suggested it is about 100 lbs.

I'd never consider leaving 100 lbs of junk in my trunk all the time.
That would waste too much gas.

Do you imagine removing it could be in any way harmful to the car?
Would it void my warranty?
What if I had the dealer remove it?

By looking at the Honda technical documentaion it appears that the Climate Control System is well integrated with the power delivery/management systems in the vehicle. I suspect it is technically possible to disable the AC altogether, but I doubt we'll be able to remove many components - thus offering very little weight savings - unless you remove the entire blower assembly as well.

For those components that can be removed, that would also mean a possible component remanufacturing or replacement if a best fit replacement cannot be found (sensors, belts, and possibly ECU and MICU re-programming).

One other thing that is often forgotten: The IMA battery derives its cooling from the passenger cabin air !!! Keeping the cabin temps in check will help ensure that the battery pack will operate in the typical temperature ranges the car was designed to operate in. Obviously, operation of the AC not only helps the passengers but also helps the power module behind the back seat !!!! Please stay cool and may your battery live long as well !!!

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

For the record I drive alone 99% of the time.
When it is very hot I turn on the fan and take my shirt off.
It is fine.
Sure beats walking.

Removing seats would look bad.
Removing the AC would not.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:50 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

msantos makes a good point, the A/C is there for the batteries, also. To remove it may harm the batteries.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:22 PM

I assume if I, the driver can stand the temp in the car the batteries can too.

A parked car in the sun (AC off of course) gets way way hotter than the 90 degrees that I tolerate driving without AC.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

I assume if I, the driver can stand the temp in the car the batteries can too.

A parked car in the sun (AC off of course) gets way way hotter than the 90 degrees that I tolerate driving without AC.
Kenny;

To each their own - of course !!

However, I am just trying to illustrate that the design attributes of the 06 HCH is not accidental. Yes, if you are in good health your body is very flexible and able to accommodate periods of higher temperatures - Mostly because our organic bodies regenerate and rebuild from damage far better that our typical "civilian use technology".

Sadly, as it is the case with most affordable technology nowadays, things are designed to operate within pre-established environmental thresholds. Call it designing with compromize. In the case of the NiMH batteries - when exposed to high heat over long periods of operation their life expectancy WILL be seriously reduced. This is not speculation !!

The power control module will even prevent the operation of the battery pack if a dangerous temperature limit is breached. Please note that the battery control module generates heat as well and that heat HAS TO BE dissipated. Since active air cooling is used to properly cool the 06HCH control module along with the battery - you will want to make sure the cabin air temperature is within an acceptable range. Remember, this applies only when the control module is in operation.

The other thing operating AC will do is control the amount of moisture in the cabin (which helps the battery control module, battry pack and all other electronic systems). In extreme heat, moisture can permeate through almost anything and then condensate causing connection degration and even corrosion. I am sure many prople would love to avoid that especially if they keep their vehicles as long as like to keep mine.

In the end, there's no denying that operating the battery pack at lower cabin temperatures only helps to prolong its life and reliability. Unlike humans I can assure you that the battery pack does NOT have regenerative abilities.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-21-2006, 06:28 PM

Honda refers to the enclosure that holds the batteries as the IPU (Intelligent Power Unit). It contains an internal air conditioning inverter and an internal cooling fan. What exactly is an air conditioning inverter? Does anybody know if this cools independently of the main air conditioner that cools the cabin?

Old 08-21-2006, 07:00 PM

So you feel driving with no AC when it is 90 degrees (and using only the fan instead) is damaging my battery?

Old 08-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
Honda refers to the enclosure that holds the batteries as the IPU (Intelligent Power Unit). It contains an internal air conditioning inverter and an internal cooling fan. What exactly is an air conditioning inverter? Does anybody know if this cools independently of the main air conditioner that cools the cabin?
What you are referring to may be the A/C compressor driver subsystem. This is a control facility that controls/powers the hybrid scroll air conditioning compressor located in the engine bay.

The power control module contains the following components:

IPU Module fan + air ducts
AC compressor driver
MCM module (IMA motor control module)
BCM module (battery control module)
DC to DC converter
Battery (NiMH pack) module

The entire power control module (IPU) is cooled by active air cooling (fan). The air is drawn from the vent in the cabin, cools the batteries first, then the BCM, DC-DC converter, MCM and at the very last cools the AC compressor driver.

The hot air is then exhausted out through the trunk to a vent just behind the rear bumper (right side of the vehicle).

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 08-21-2006 at 07:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I remove my AC?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands