HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Should I turn off my car b4 putting it in Park?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Should I turn off my car b4 putting it in Park?

Noflash: Yes, AS does occur in N. In fact, it's a little more eager to go AS in N than it is in D, which I use to my advantage when stopped at a traffic light and the car doesn't immediately go AS. Shifting to N sometimes gives that extra little bit of encouragement to get it to shut down.

MFH: Definitely a programming issue on your car. My door unlocks the moment I move the ignition from II (normal running) to I (accessories only).

Old 02-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast

Folks,

The auto-door locking and unlocking can be programmed into several moves including disabled, or unlocking drivers/all doors when the car is put in park or the key is ignition is turned off. It's in the owners manual.

Dobe

Old 02-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast

Exactly - and I've programmed my car just fine: to unlock all its doors when I shift into Park. The scenario that people are describing here does NOT work if you have your doors automatically unlock when you shift into park. For those of us who like and chose that option, the AS may not be as important for a split second of a rev from the engine when you coast into the garage on AS. Though it may be a stress (though extremely small) on the CVT engine we've got, I do not feel that it's a big deal in the overall MPG, which is what most of us are aiming for...

Old 02-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days. I can never time my "take foot off break right before AutoStop engages below 10mph" and I don't like the potential transmission ramifications of shutting off the engine before putting the car in park. I just can't imagine there not being some sort of shutdown procedures that engage or something. Anywho, I was playing around with some buttons to see if any functions would prevent AutoStop from engaging; nothing worked. Then I put the transmission in "L" (low range I suppose) and AutoStop did not engage. Once I was done parking I just put the car in P and shut it off as normal. Does this sound like a good idea? For some cars does the car AutoStop in "L" anyway? Any other thoughts? Seems like a great owners community here and I am genuinely interested in your thoughts.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Mike, at least on the '06, AS will only engage in the 'N' and 'D' positions.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast

I'm having the same problem as MyFirstHy, I've programmed my doors to all unlock when I put it in park. When I pull into my driveway and the car auto-stops, if I put it in park the engine starts and the doors unlock. However, if I turn off the key while in auto-stop, then put it in park (to avoid the engine restart) the doors do not unlock.

It seems silly to start the engine only to turn it off. Is there really a need for this, related to the transmission or something? It seems deliberate on Honda's part so perhaps they have a reason. I want my doors to unlock so unless I do one of the tricks to avoid the auto-stop, I think I'll continue to put it in park and have the engine start for a second. My car is only a month old so I'm still learning.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Randy, shift into drive two when parking. It will not auto-stop when in drive 2. Once you are in your garage and stopped ,shift to park. That is how I solved that problem, try it.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Harold, I might try that. I've never tried shifting to D2 (or S I think it's labelled on mine). In my case, I'm coming off a busy street, right into my driveway and stopping, so having it auto-stop for the second or two is probably pointless anyway.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Re: Should I turn off my car b4 putting it in Park?

You can program the doors to auto unlock under several scenarios (from page 83 of the 2007 manual). You can also program the auto unlock sequences to unlock either the driver's door or all doors. Here are the scenarios:

1) when you turn the ignition switch to Accessory I
2) never, deactivated all the time
3) when you shift to PARK

I think default state is deactivated, we had to program our 2007 HCHII to unlock all doors in PARK. However, based on the auto stop discussion, I'm thinking of changing to Accessory I so they will always unlock no matter if we are gaming the auto stop or not.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

LeAnn,

"Ditto's here w/ one of the high-mileage hobby's fact-finders, Mr. MSantos".

-Auto-stop kicks in.
-With foot still on the brake pedal, turn off ignition and engage parking brake.
-Switch transmission lever to Park position and release foot from brake.
Although I found no need for the use of the parking brake ( very level ground for my driveway with an apporched that seems like snails crawl, lol ). Also I do give the system a few seconds before placing the gear shifter to "P", as I do the unbuckling-jazz &/or gathering-up of the misc. stuffs.

"Enjoy your new found toy, as the fun has just Began".

John

Quick Reply: Should I turn off my car b4 putting it in Park?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands