HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Specific things to do to get the best MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Great Mileage and Green
Default Re: Specific things to do to get the best MPG

I've found keeping the speed on the interstate to 62 mph and the RPMs to 2000 or so does the most for extending the distance on a tank of gas. The biggest savings is the arrival of spring and the warmer temperatures that brings.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:40 AM
F**k ExxonMobil

fake shifting.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast

I just got my 2008 HCHII last week. I had a question about getting the best MPG. I frequently get caught coming upon a yellow light and there is not enough time to glide or keep the regen bars to 1 or 2. I was wondering if you should downshift under these conditions or not?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by dpayne
... I frequently get caught coming upon a yellow light and there is not enough time to glide or keep the regen bars to 1 or 2. I was wondering if you should downshift under these conditions or not?
1. What yellow light? Please elaborate.

2. Why not enough time? The minute we let foot off the accelerator, the iFE will shoot to 100 mpg and ( if Battery is NOT fully charged ), the CHRG meter will show that system is recharging. If we tap gently on the brakes, the CHRG meter will increase showing that the system is charging at higher current.

I find that the recharge only cuts off below 12 km/h. I am doing city driving too. I find the system is rather effective.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2008 Honda CIvic Hybrid
1. What yellow light? Please elaborate.

2. Why not enough time? The minute we let foot off the accelerator, the iFE will shoot to 100 mpg and ( if Battery is NOT fully charged ), the CHRG meter will show that system is recharging. If we tap gently on the brakes, the CHRG meter will increase showing that the system is charging at higher current.

I find that the recharge only cuts off below 12 km/h. I am doing city driving too. I find the system is rather effective.
1. By yellow light I mean a traffic signal ahead of me that is about to turn red and I must soon stop.

2. I realize taking my foot off the accelerator moves the iFE to 100 mpg. What I am trying to describe is a situation where the traffic signal will soon turn red and I must stop in about 10 seconds. I have read about getting the iFE to 100 MPG then slightly depressing the accelerator to remove any charge indicators to glide. I have also read to efficiently come to a stop I should try and have no more than 2 regen indicators on. Knowing I am going to have to stop too soon to effective glide or keep the regen indicators under 2, I was wondering if downshifting would play a roll in efficiently coming to a stop where there is not much time to "coast". Downshifting seems to add a few regen bars depending upon your speed. I was wondering if downshifting would be a more fuel efficient method for slowing down under these conditions. I could see another solution to be come up to the light without downshifting so you could enter Auto Stop sooner. See my question?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:40 PM

I see.

I believe down shifting will not save fuel bcos

1. AUTOSTOP only works in N or D.

2. If we need more bars on CHRG, we could play with the brakes. As long as vehicle is above 12km/h and batteries not fully charge, the bars will increase... which means more charging current.

3. Personally, I do not think we should manually downshift. Reason is when we let go accelerator on D, the valves are closed, no fuel injected into engine. Thus, this may save more fuel.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Applying the brake should add more regen bars. Downshifting really only needs to be used when it is too cold for regen braking.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think there is some confusion here. Just hit the brakes. Yes - you will have more than 2 bars of regen but if your goal is to stop - then you want the most regen possible. The rule about not having more than 2 bars is if you are trying to glide. In the described case - the changing light has prevented hypermiling nirvana - so just hit the brakes....

Downshifting will cause extra friction in the system and limit the charging - definitely not the right thing to do (unless you are not getting regen - ie cold engine).

Old 04-01-2008, 05:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would wait until I was really close to the intersection and then perform an emergency stop. That way, everyone else at the intersection will know you are doing your best to squeeze every millilitre. They will be astonished.