HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Spot the Differences - HCHII market choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Spot the Differences - HCHII market choices

Originally Posted by AndrueC
Which country is that? The UK Hybrids have all the air bags you mentioned, the cruise control and remote boot release (in fact on the car I drove I couldn't work out how to open the boot from outside, lol). The only thing we seem to be missing is the sat. nav.

Edit:Oh and the car itself (see I'm starting to laugh about it now )
there .... UK and asia differs too. I have no use of the fog lights, side step garnish, lower rims, but i will prefer to have more safety and the gps nav system.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Andrue... I guess it's just a different mindset here regarding driving. Since the first time my butt hit the driver's seat in 1976, I (and every other American I know of) learns to brake (and remain stopped) by use of the pedal only. It's not anything we have to think about... just becomes automatic. A foot on the brake is no more annoying or fatiguing than a foot on the gas pedal or hands on the wheel!

I still contend that the safety benefits of the brake lights being illuminated every time the brakes are applied outweighs the benefits of reduced fatigue and the possibility of the foot slipping off the pedal. At worst (assuming sleep, death or alien abduction!), you'd just roll forward and tap the bumper of the person in front... and that just doesn't happen here!

I use the parking (hand) brake for only three specific reasons:

1) Parking
2) Starting up from a stop on a steep uphill grade
3) and, prior to my hybrid days, slowing down to the limit with a cop behind you (so as not to draw attention with the brake lights illuminating!)

I'm not saying the UK method is wrong... just different! To each his own!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Proud owner HCHII

There is one major difference between the US and the UK which we should remember! Transmissions.

US - 90% of drivers drive an automatic. UK - 90% of drivers drive a manual.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah the difference between manual and auto might be the real issue. I drove an automatic in the US last year and seemed to move off from stationary with no accelerator much as a manual did but I suppose it would have lower torque. Thinking about it you probably would just tap the car in front and stop. A manual would have a bit more power behind it.

Anyway if I ever get my Hybrid I'll find out if Honda have changed it or not.