HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

synthetics and oil life display

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default synthetics and oil life display

Caveat: I'm not a car person!

I got an oil change today at the dealer - the price was double the usual (it was $69.84) b/c he said oil was more expensive for hybrids. I assume this really means they used a synthetic this time.

How does using a synthetic affect the Engine Oil Life Display countdown? Isn't that set for regular oil, when synthetic is supposed to last longer?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: synthetics and oil life display

The HCHII uses 0W-20 oil which is a synthetic or synthetic blend in the case of the Honda OEM product. Other Hondas mostly use 5W-20 which is normally a conventional oil although available as synthetic in many other brands.

I do not believe that the oil life indicator is any different for the Civic Hybrid than the other models. Regardless, based on my own car, it gives a very long interval between changes. Other members of this site have gone 8,000 to 12,000 miles between changes with good oil analyzes to prove the point.

The real benefit is that the "lighter" oil allows the HCH to achieve its very best fuel economy while protecting the engine properly.

Welcome to Green Hybrid. You will enjoy the helpful information shared here.

Cheers,

Roger

Old 12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

jb3710 that price for an oil change sounds a bit on the pricey side. I would look into another dealer? I buy my own Mobil 0w-20 at 6.00 or 7.00 a quart and my dealer charges about 24.00 to change: that still about 20.00 less than what you're paying.

My dealer tried telling me the same thing, but I heard oil changes are increasing overall b/c of the price of oil...Wait that's when it was 147.00 a barrel...are the dealers still getting away with overcharging for oil changes when oil is now only 40.00 a barrel?

Jess

Old 12-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That is not a bad price,if it included all items to be inspected and tire rotation!H

Old 12-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

What the others said (DreamR and Harold).

Old 01-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Jess, oil is indeed 1/3 what it was this summer, but you have to remember that it takes a long time for a supertanker to get from Saudi to Louisiana, then for the wizards there to turn it into whatever it is they want to make with all them dead dinos, package it, then get it through the distribution channel and onto the local store shelf. So while recent prices are much more manageable, we're just now buying the products that were refined months ago.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Jess, oil is indeed 1/3 what it was this summer, but you have to remember that it takes a long time for a supertanker to get from Saudi to Louisiana, then for the wizards there to turn it into whatever it is they want to make with all them dead dinos, package it, then get it through the distribution channel and onto the local store shelf. So while recent prices are much more manageable, we're just now buying the products that were refined months ago.
Thank you for the explanation, I never thought of that.

Jess