HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Tinted my windows today

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tinted my windows today

I hate all of you! Pennsylvania has some of the toughest laws on tint, seems anyone that wants tinted windows is some kind of criminal. Highest tint you can get has to have 70% and as most troopers will point out here most glass only has a 70% transmission of light. I know peeps that have done it but almost all of them have had at least one ticket for it.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hello Bob.
What is the cost in Spokane and what shop are you using? I would like to have mine tinted soon. H

Old 05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

So, what's with this tinting business, anyway? I'm assuming folks have it done to keep the car's interior from heating up too much. But how much energy is really saved? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but around the S.F. Bay Area where I live, very few vehicles have it, and you tend to see it on the macho SUV gas guzzlers. Does anyone have any data on how much fuel is saved by tinting (assuming you live in a hot-summer climate, of course)?

Old 05-14-2008, 02:05 PM

Bob

I am doing it for comfort only as it gets warm here in the summer. I would guess some do it, in order not to use the AC. H

Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I am doing it for comfort as well, I DO NOT like the sun on me and I do not like the heat.....compared to FLA I guess it is not bad but it hits 90 here on a regular basis and the sun, at this lattitude it stays light in the summer till 9 or 10 pm.

To answer your question, Spokane tinting is doing the work, they have a good rep & bbb membership, they are charging me $150 to tint only the 6 side windows as my back window was tinted by accident....apparently the body shop ordered a "solar glass" replacement and received a "tinted" replacement....it is intended for the non hybrid Civic because it has an antenna embeded in it, but what the heck, I like it.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:38 PM

Thank you, Bob. I will give them a call. H

Old 05-14-2008, 11:24 PM

Actually I misquoted the name, it is Spokane Sunscreen...FYI.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:04 AM
iEnthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
<snip>The Canadian models do not have the AT-PZEV window stickers either but you can more than make up for that by adding the side badges !!!
<snip>
MS.... Where did you get the extra hybrid badges? I would love to have a few more if I could just order them from somewhere...

Pagemap, car looks great man! On my old car I had 15% tint on all the windows and it makes a HUGE difference in terms of overall "cool" factor ;-) I love dark cars with tinted windows. Wait till it gets cloudy/rainy out and it looks even darker than normal. That was my favorite part...

Stupid tinting laws in WI tho... 50% max for back and rear windows, 35% for front. I already had a little run in and had to get it removed on my old car. I am seriously considering getting legal tint done to my 08 HCHII tho.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by ibubbles
MS.... Where did you get the extra hybrid badges? I would love to have a few more if I could just order them from somewhere...
I had my dealership put them in for me.

However, many here and at CleanMPG have ordered the badges from online dealers and had then easily installed with the help of a template kindly provided by a local HCH-2 GH member.

You may find the details on this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ge-side-14368/

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-16-2008, 03:27 AM

I don't think tinting improves the look of the magnetic/sparkle grey pearl HCHII at all. You would do it on a taffeta white to increase the contrast.

Other objections to tinting in general: Your privacy is at the cost of driving safety. Tint impairs your vision out and prevents approaching drivers from sussing whether you are aware of them. It also makes it difficult for the driver behind you to see what you're seeing in order to anticipate problems. This last point isn't so bad on sedans, but I loathe mini-vans and SUVs for it because if anything on the road could benefit from defensive driving by others, it is them. Put up a pane of black glass in front or next to me and I'll think, "What a selfish *******."