HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Very weird thing happened today

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Very weird thing happened today

While coming back from the store I pushed the button to unlock and it didn't unlock... so I try to use my key and nothing... then I randomly hear a click and then I can oen the door... I get in and try to start the engine but the key doesn't fit... then the person next to me, the same thing... finally at the same time we both realized the car next each of us was the same HCH-II Mg Pearl and we both unlocked each others doors and went into the wrong car without realizing it... He kindly asked if we might switch cars... I apologized, he franticaly apologized meaning no harm about my car... we switched vehciles and drove away. I felt strange for the rest of the day but in the end I wonder how often something like that happens. No harm, no foul but he liked my sunroof.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 09-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Very weird thing happened today

Good story.
Maybe he was trying to make your sunroof HIS

Old 09-30-2006, 02:55 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Truly unbelievable! The odds must be zillions to one against such a thing ever happening. Are you sure that you were not dreaming............Do write and tell Honda about it, a good story for the house magazine.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

I find it funny that neither of you noticed there was another Mag Pearl HCH II next to you.

There's another silver HCH II that parks either next to me or very close to me when I work out in the morning, and we even got them from the same dealership, so the little dealer plaque is the same. I wouldn't mistake hers for mine, though, since she has beads hanging from the rearview mirror and stickers in the rear window.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:24 AM
Vegetarian

Hahahaha! That's great. I doubt it would happen to me though because there are lots of little things about my car that are unique... my tag being the first thing I'd notice, and if I got as far is getting in another persons car I would wonder where my club was.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My window tint and xm radio would be the clues to tell me I'm at the wrong car! Actually, though, this sort of thing happend to me a couple of weeks ago on a business trip. I had a rental vehicle and mistook it for the nearly-identical blue Buick that was parked two spaces away. Wondered why the key didn't work!

Old 10-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

That just reminds me of a story from my college Statistics class.

There were about 40 of us in the class, and the instructor pointed out the odds against two of us having the same birthday. So, to prove it, he went through each month, asked for the people born in that month, then went through each of their birthdays.

As luck would have it, we did have two guys born on the same day. It took the professor a few minutes to figure it out. "Wait! You guys are twins!"

Old 10-02-2006, 03:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

With 40 of you in the class, though, there's about a 95% chance that two share a birthday. I believe the 50/50 mark is at around 23 people or so.

Two same color Civic Hybrids parked next to each other? Not quite as common. Of course, over the course of the car ownership, it'll likely happen at some point.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast

What's a birthday (date only), month and date, or month date and year (which would not make as big a difference with a homogeneous group such as a college stats class.

Once in Boy Scouts (Order of the Arrow even) I was given the keys to the leaders white Oldsmobile to get something out of the car. It's the one with the Yellow Pages in the back seat I was specifically told. Well I saw a Buick with Yellow Pages in the back of the seat and was trying to get in. Alas the car was owned by a very big guy who grabbed me by the arm.

I tried to explain, but he was not buying I couldn't tell the difference between and Olds and a Buick.

And I was even in my Boy Scout uniform... good thing he didn't have a club.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:33 PM
hypermiler wannabe
Red face Re: Very weird thing happened today

1978 Buick Skylark Station Wagon 2-tone Beige/Brown. My brother, age 18, left me (8) in the car while he ran into the store for a gallon of milk. Out of habit he took the keys and off he went. I sat and sat and about 8 or 10 mins later, he comes truckin out and hops in the car next to me... a 2-tone Buick wagon?! He STARTS the car and reverses out of the spot. A lady comes running out yelling "STOP STOP, that's my car!!" He stops, they talk a minute, they inspect keys and he sheepishly returns to OUR car and we drive off.

No lie. (and he forgot the milk)

+++

I though remote locks rolled their codes so like cars couldn't do that??

Quick Reply: Very weird thing happened today

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands