HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

What is the most unused feature in your car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: What is the most unused feature in your car?

Heated mirrors. Through the whole winter I have never needed to use the feature.
I wish they had given us Canadians the remote trunk release button instead.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

IMO DRL's are give you an edge in terms of visibility and reduce chances of accidents by a %. Not sure that any reason to cancel them would outweigh that advantage but hey, it's your car.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

(Happy Birthday to me)

MSantos - I really wish I had heated mirrors. I'd like to add them at some point. Maybe I should have imported one from Canada.

SrfCity - I find that the people who have DRL on their car are MORE dangerous because they assume their lights are on all the time. For example, most of the people who do not turn their headlights on in a tunnel are those with DRL. Most people who do not turn their lights on when it is getting dusk/dark have DRL and assume that the light in front of them on the road is their headlights. They keep forgetting that without the headlights on their rear taillights are not lit and this is very dangerous in dusk/dark situations and tunnels. Furthermore, here in PA there is a State law that requires you to turn on your headlights in Construction zones and people with DRL seldom do this. There is a new law to turn on headlights when the wipers are on (we finally caught up to the South Carolina law from 20 years ago - way to go PA) and many people just assume their DRL are "headlights" which is so not true. So I find the DRL people more dangerous than the normal folk.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Climate control! I'd gladly trade it for stability control or a sunroof.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flash
(Happy Birthday to me)

SrfCity - I find that the people who have DRL on their car are MORE dangerous because they assume their lights are on all the time. For example, most of the people who do not turn their headlights on in a tunnel are those with DRL. Most people who do not turn their lights on when it is getting dusk/dark have DRL and assume that the light in front of them on the road is their headlights. They keep forgetting that without the headlights on their rear taillights are not lit and this is very dangerous in dusk/dark situations and tunnels. Furthermore, here in PA there is a State law that requires you to turn on your headlights in Construction zones and people with DRL seldom do this. There is a new law to turn on headlights when the wipers are on (we finally caught up to the South Carolina law from 20 years ago - way to go PA) and many people just assume their DRL are "headlights" which is so not true. So I find the DRL people more dangerous than the normal folk.
Yea, happy b'day!

For me DRL's are no different then if I wasn't using them but I am. IOW when I need head lights I turn them on just as anyone would. So, for me I believe the extra visibility is an advantage. Still not sure why anyone would consciously turn them off unless they like living on the edge and prefer to lose that little edge. Statistically DRL's are safer. I used to ride a motorcycle so the difference of using lights full time could mean your life.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Vegetarian

Originally Posted by msantos
I wish they had given us Canadians the remote trunk release button.
The US HCHIIs have a trunk release? I'm jealous!

ps
Happy Birthday Flash!

Last edited by IMAhybrid; 02-26-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks (re: bday - though it IS a Monday and I'm off to work soon so how good can it be, right?). I posted to another thread about the DRL and it isn't that I'm against them - jsut that people think they are normal headlights and don't use their headlights when recommended. I have my DRL disabled but if I drive through a half mile of dense trees over the road and it is dark then I turn on my lights even though it is 2 PM and sunny outside but I feel I might not be visible to other cars (or deer) so I turn on my lights. It isn't rocket science but so many people (maybe the younger folk) have grown up in cars that do all their thinking for them. I still turn my lights off before I get out of the car. Imagine if you grew up and all your cars turned off the lights for you. One day you get into a rental car, drive an hour or two out of town to go hiking, leave your lights on because you were never taught otherwise, and have a dead battery with nobody to contact and are stranded in a snowstorm. Unlikely maybe but possible when people are not taught the "rudiments" of driving sometimes. *sigh* Nostalgia is not what it used to be. <smirk>

Old 02-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlaricD
The DRLs. I purposefully disabled mine to prolong the life of the headlamp bulbs and to reduce the electrical (and ultimately, mechanical) load. Also, it restores some control of the car's functions to me.

As far as them being a safety feature-- GM performed a study which concluded that they were effective in reducing nighttime accidents.

Haha... you are going to believe a study by GM that concludes their effective use? I'm sure if the report is true they mean during the transition period to darkness (and early mornings but less so there, because you tend to begin your journey with lights on) where a lot of people drive with no lights on because you can still see the road. As for bulb usage, it's a separate bulb (a DRL bulb).

edit.... so I found this link (I assume you mean this GM study?):

http://www.slate.com/id/2090493/

Last edited by livvie; 02-26-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

Strange, I live in Canada and my HCHII has both heated mirrors AND a trunk release.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
The US HCHIIs have a trunk release? I'm jealous!
Yeah, they have that. And to add insult to injury the US models also have the Navi option.
Honda Canada figures canadians are either too cheap or geographically adept that a GPS is not even worth being offered as an option. Here we are, residents of the second largest country in the world and the GPS option is needlessly omitted.

Cheers;

MSantos

Quick Reply: What is the most unused feature in your car?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands