HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

What's the lowest level have you gotten your tank?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Hybrid Owner
Default Re: What's the lowest level have you gotten your tank?

I can't think of a car that doesn't have an inline filter somewhere between the gastank and the engine.

I do know that some vehicles' fuel pumps are in tank and lubricated by the fuel. In that case, it's not a good thing to run them dry.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:29 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

refilled w/ 13.4 gal once, to the neck. someone here got a bit more.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Whenever you can put in more gas than your tank holds, it makes me think maybe the station owner is padding his wallet with some rigged pumps. Not only does this cost you more, it hurts your FE.

-dan

Old 02-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dantheman
Whenever you can put in more gas than your tank holds, it makes me think maybe the station owner is padding his wallet with some rigged pumps. Not only does this cost you more, it hurts your FE.

-dan
If you are suspicious of someone doing that, I would try and fill a 2 or 3 gallon tank with gas and see what happens.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Enthusiast

How the heck are you getting that kind of mileage? I am trying and getting 39MPG. It is in temps of 5 to 32 degrees.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeamCanada17
How the heck are you getting that kind of mileage? I am trying and getting 39MPG. It is in temps of 5 to 32 degrees.
Wait until it warms up in the spring. You will notice a huge increase in FE. Also your car needs to break in. Are you using a block heater and/or covering your front grill?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

[quote=AJR;162172]...I have run out of gas twice. Both times my wife had driven it sometime on those 2 tanks which have thrown off my estimated numbers by as much as 30-40 miles on the tank (shows how heavy she can be on the accelerator).

This comment brings up another question pertaining to figuring out how much gas you have left. How accurate are the MPG and TRIP meters? If the MPG meter states 40.0 MPG and the TRIP meter reads 400.0 miles, you have consumed 10 gallons of gas (+/- some error). Given this you would have 2.3 gallons of gas remaining. IF you fillup to the very top of the neck of the tank, you would still have to determine how much the entire tank can hold (12.3 gals + any designed reserve + the neck). Let's say for example this number is 14.0. Knowing this, wouldn't you be able to use the MPG and TRIP meters to determine when you have consumed 14.0 gallons of gas? Using this method would make it irrelevant who drove the car and what driving habits they exhibited.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast

I have a 2006. The light usually comes on when I have 3 bars left. On my last tank, all the light came on with 3 bars left and I ran it till all the bars were out. After the last bar went out I drove 23 more miles then filled up.....I put 12.31 gallons in! (I know some of that was the filler neck that is probably NOT counted in the tank capicity....but I must have be close to completly empty!)

Old 05-07-2008, 06:22 AM
06 Honda Civic Hybrid

I try not to go below 1/2 tank. Easy on the pocketbook to only put $10 - $20 bucks in and see my trip saying 200- 300 miles... love it.

Only once have I got to the LOW GAS LIGHT...and I was 50 miles from a gas station... I was worried...but I was getting 62 mpg...I think I put 11 gallons in...and since I knew the tank was 12.3 ...I could of gone another 60+ miles...WOW! LOVE MY HCH!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

How is filling up at half a tank benefical? It amazes me when I see someone not fill up, particularlly when they put in only $5-$10. Sure, it makes sense if you borrowed a friends car or have a leaky tank, but I think some people just do it this way with their own cars all the time. It seems to me they're going to spend the same amount on gas in a year whether or not they fill up each time. The difference being that those that don't fill up waste a lot more time detouring to and hanging around gas stations.

Aside from the personal time lost, another disadvantage of keeping your tank more than half full is that on the average you're carrying around more weight which hurts your FE more when you have to accelerate or climb a hill.

That aside, congrats on keeping up the good FE.

-dan