HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Why this behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Why this behavior?

Yesterday, I filled up my HCHII and while waiting for my wife to come out of the HandyMart, I tried this experiment.

I had 3 bars of charge on the traction battery, so I started the engine, and revved it to 3000 rpm in neutral... It did not produce any charging of the traction battery . I am surprised it didn't, and can't think of any good reason not to regen in neutral.

Then I tried the same thing except with the tranny in park. This time it did produce a charge, but only 3 or 4 green bars. Why wouldn't it use the opportunity to produce max charge?

Third experiment. I revved the engine to 3000 rpm, and holding the throttle steady, I turned on the AC. When the AC compressor kicked in, the rpm dropped to 1800. Wow, I was surprised at how much power it really takes to run the AC.

One other time, I tried revving the engine in neutral to red line, but the engine cuts out around 4200 rpm. It must be programmed to limit the rpms. I know the engine will rev higher than that though, because I live at the top of a 4 mile 7% grade, and to make it up the hill at 55 mph, the engine usually revs above 4500 rpm.

This car is full of surprises.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why this behavior?

I am surprised it didn't, and can't think of any good reason not to regen in neutral.
Yes, It only does that in park. I'm not sure why, but if you try it in neutral it's just a HUGE waste of gas.

This time it did produce a charge, but only 3 or 4 green bars. Why wouldn't it use the opportunity to produce max charge?
To produce max charge and keep that RPM would waste too much gas. (I think...)

Wow, I was surprised at how much power it really takes to run the AC.
A/C is the hybrid driver's mortal enemy

I live at the top of a 4 mile 7% grade, and to make it up the hill at 55 mph, the engine usually revs above 4500 rpm.
I'm surprised that you get 45.7 mpg having to do that every day.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kephra
Yesterday, I filled up my HCHII and while waiting for my wife to come out of the HandyMart, I tried this experiment.

I had 3 bars of charge on the traction battery, so I started the engine, and revved it to 3000 rpm in neutral... It did not produce any charging of the traction battery . I am surprised it didn't, and can't think of any good reason not to regen in neutral.

Then I tried the same thing except with the tranny in park. This time it did produce a charge, but only 3 or 4 green bars. Why wouldn't it use the opportunity to produce max charge?
This was an interesting experiment, but actually driving the car in forced regen is a more efficient way to charge the battery than revving in Park (a nearly complete waste of gas actually!)

Third experiment. I revved the engine to 3000 rpm, and holding the throttle steady, I turned on the AC. When the AC compressor kicked in, the rpm dropped to 1800. Wow, I was surprised at how much power it really takes to run the AC.
I've tried running my A/C while going uphill before and noticed the utter drop in power. That's why I always turn off my A/C while going uphill, and try to avoid using it altogehter (open the windows in city driving, close the windows and open the ventilation fan on high speed on the freeway, wear light (both weight and color) clothes to keep cool in summer)

One other time, I tried revving the engine in neutral to red line, but the engine cuts out around 4200 rpm. It must be programmed to limit the rpms. I know the engine will rev higher than that though, because I live at the top of a 4 mile 7% grade, and to make it up the hill at 55 mph, the engine usually revs above 4500 rpm.
I don't know the rev limiter cut in so early, but revving the engine so high in neutral is not good for the life of the engine. I'm also surprised you get 45 mpg with those kind of RPMs; I only need 3000 RPMs to get my up my hill, at 35 mph. Perhaps you could try lowering your speed a bit? Unless the posted speed limit is 55 and the people following are impatient.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluecivichybrid
This was an interesting experiment, but actually driving the car in forced regen is a more efficient way to charge the battery than revving in Park (a nearly complete waste of gas actually!)

I've tried running my A/C while going uphill before and noticed the utter drop in power. That's why I always turn off my A/C while going uphill, and try to avoid using it altogehter (open the windows in city driving, close the windows and open the ventilation fan on high speed on the freeway, wear light (both weight and color) clothes to keep cool in summer)

I don't know the rev limiter cut in so early, but revving the engine so high in neutral is not good for the life of the engine. I'm also surprised you get 45 mpg with those kind of RPMs; I only need 3000 RPMs to get my up my hill, at 35 mph. Perhaps you could try lowering your speed a bit? Unless the posted speed limit is 55 and the people following are impatient.

I'm an engineer, and can't resist experimenting on things