HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Windshield Crack!!!! and B1 Service..Synthetic oil question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default Windshield Crack!!!! and B1 Service..Synthetic oil question

Sup All,

I got my HCH II 2007 model in December 2007 and already have 16K miles on it.

I have two questions:

1. During my A1 Service (the first oil change), I had asked the dealer to put in Syntethic Oil and they recommended I do alignment as well. Well I did the alignment per their recommendation. Its been about 7K miles now and I am at 15% with a B1 minder showing.

Shouldn't syntethic last longer than this? Is there even a point to put synthetic in if the MM is not going to account for that? I mean due to my extended warranty, I want to make sure I do all the car recommends cause I don't want them to give me a problem later with warranty service.

2. My windshield recently got hit by a small rock and has lines running down now. I don't want the Honda dealer to replace it since they will charge too much. Will my warranty be voided if it is not a "Genuine" Honda Windscreen? Also, will the Honda dealer put that on a record that I declined their windscreen when I take it in for oil change?

Thanx for all the help.

Btw, I am averaging 43mpg with A/C on most of the time around 64-67 and driving around 72mph.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Windshield Crack!!!! and B1 Service..Synthetic oil question

1. The oil change meter measures more than just miles driven. It factors in RPMs to derive its oil life display. The harder you drive the car, the shorter your oil life will be. But stick with synthetic. It's better than fossil oil.

2. Honda won't void your warranty over a windshield. Nor does the warranty require that a Honda dealer change your oil. You can get that done anywhere.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

What 1stpik says is correct. I just wanted to add that whatever service you do yourself, oil change, air filters, ect, keep the receipts and keep a log of what you do, when you do it, and what products you used. I keep a small logbook for gas, mileage, and service which I just staple the receipts in and notate what service I did. That way if a warranty issue comes up and they try to say anything you can just show them that you were performing the minor services yourself. It is against the law for them to force you to go to them for a service. Of course I do recommend you go in for an occasional item, if nothing else just to get any computer updates that might be available.

Also your windshield crack should be covered by your comprehensive insurance so I don't know why you would be worried about who does the work. A windshield shouldn't affect your insurance rates either, in case that is what you are concerned about.

Originally Posted by WildViper
Btw, I am averaging 43mpg with A/C on most of the time around 64-67 and driving around 72mph.
You must be a polar bear, needing it that cold. Do you keep your house this cold in the winter time? Knock that temp up to say 72 and slow down to 60 mph and you could be seeing at least 48 mpg with no extra effort.

Last edited by HemiSync; 06-24-2008 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I have been running Mobil 1 in my HCHII since the first oil change at 10K, with no issues. I change my oil at 10K regardless of what the Maintenance minder says (it is usually -1500 to 1800 miles at the reset). I also have the oil tested each time and it is just fine.

On your windshield crack, your comprehensive insurance will cover that, and you can specify that you want an OEM windshield replacement.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I have been running Mobil 1 in my HCHII since the first oil change at 10K, with no issues. I change my oil at 10K regardless of what the Maintenance minder says (it is usually -1500 to 1800 miles at the reset). I also have the oil tested each time and it is just fine.

On your windshield crack, your comprehensive insurance will cover that, and you can specify that you want an OEM windshield replacement.
Did you buy the 6 pack of tests from Blackstone or just individual ones? I am sending in my first oil to them today.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I have been buying the tests ala carte. What is the cost for 6 tests? $132.00?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I have been buying the tests ala carte. What is the cost for 6 tests? $132.00?
$114 prepaid for 6 tests.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/order_now.html

Old 06-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Make sure you get a Honda Glass replacement, doesn't matter who installs it, but it helps later on if you decide to sell the car.