HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Wiper insert replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Wiper insert replacement?

How do you change out the wiper blade inserts? I've read in an older thread that it can be done quickly and easily. I already know how to get the blades off the arm but how do I remove and replace the inserts? I'm afraid I'm going to break the blades with my tinkering.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Wiper insert replacement?

Don't bother pulling the blades off the arm. It's an unnecessary pain. Just grab the tip of the rubber with a small pair of pliers, and pull parallel to the blade, straight out

Old 11-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, that was easier than it looked!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Why are you pulling towards the hood?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

The manual has you disassembling the whole blasted assembly. All you need to do is raise the arms, grip the wiper insert with pliers, and pull parallel to the arm (and away from the hood). The insert and both of the metal stiffener things come right out. Jamming the new ones back in takes a little while, but doesn't require arm disassembly, either.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I found it easier to take the assembly off the arm, sort-of as described in the Owner's Manual. It's easier on your back, compared to wrestling the blade out of the assembly while leaning over the hood. A couple of caveats:

1. Note which blade is longer, before taking them off. You can figure it out later, by looking at the sweep on the windshield, but...

2. The Owners Manual has a couple of pic's showing how to remove the assembly. The first just shows the blade being squeezed on the sides and pulled out. The second shows a flat blade screw driver with cloth covering being inserted. I haven't got the Manual in front of me, but I recall there's something backwards about these pic's. You need to use the screw driver to get the assembly to come loose.