HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Would anyone be kind enough to let me test drive an HCH2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Would anyone be kind enough to let me test drive an HCH2?

Elliot, thanks for your impressions of both, and since you own/drive both, your opinions really count. I tried HCH, the best thing about it is the "traditional" experience. Same sound (engine), same dash, same spots for everything (shift lever, instruments, ignition key, etc.). But with awesome FE. Then I tried the Prius, which is really unconventional (MFD in middle of dash, silent mode, Smart Key, etc.). Yeah, it's gimicky, but does delivery a novel experience. And novelty does sell.

Someone here suggested you try regular Civic first. He/she is right. HCH does drive very much like a slightly sluggish Civic (like running on 3 cylinders). Similar seats, same dash, same stereo, same suspension, slightly different wheels/tires. The big difference (to me) is acceleration (slower, and initial pause), more lean in corners (probably from heavy weight). But on highway it feels comparble if not steadier (perhaps because of better weight distribution with batteries in the back).

I ended up going with Prius, because it fit my big legs, big torso and big head better. I have heard that Touring model Prius will be more tightly strung. So if handling is your thing, may want to check out Prius Touring too.