35,242 Miles On My HAH (May 1, 2007)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 35,242 Miles On My HAH (May 1, 2007)

I'm 758 miles away from the manufacturer's warranty expiring. I have high hopes for my HAH, so I didn't buy the extended warranty. Let's hope my decision pays off! I'll definitely keep the forum updated on any repairs I may have.

I did my first oil change at 5K miles with Honda 5w-20 and Honda oil filter. Then, every 5K miles thereafter, with Mobil 1 5w-20 and Mobil 1 oil filter. Engine air filter every 15K. Cabin air filter every 15K. (both should go much longer, as even living in dusty and dirty Arizona, they both looked pretty clean) Tires were rotated at 10K mile intervals.

I haven't had any serious problems with the car. I think the first issue I had was the check engine light flashing at me and then staying on when I would floor it to pass traffic on the interstate. The DTC showed a cylinder 1 misfire. Haven't had it come back, even though I've floored it several times since the reset, so maybe it was just a fluke.

I had the low booming noise coming from the speakers when I first start the car maybe three times. I got the dealer to do the service bulletin to replace the ANC component. The problem hasn't occured since.

I thought I was having a popping noise coming from the rear suspension so I took it to the dealer. But before I did, I rearranged the items in my trunk. The dealer couldn't reproduce the problem. I guess something in the back was just rattling around as I haven't heard the noise since.

The car felt like it was pulsing when doing hard braking. I took it to the dealer and they decided to resurface my rotors. Now, my brakes feel smooth, even when I have to slam down on them.

I received the recall for the fuel pump relay that has a possibility of corroding. I'll probably drop the car off to get that checked out in the next week or two.

I don't recall any other issues I've had. Overall, I love this car.

Last edited by bar10dah; 05-01-2007 at 06:45 PM. Reason: more information
Old 05-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 35,242 Miles On My HAH (May 1, 2007)

Just curious when you got the recall on the fuel pump relay? I haven't received one yet.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:53 PM

I got it in the mail a week or two ago. Also, you can check for it on ahm-ownerlink.com. If you still can't find mention of it, let me know and I'll dig mine up and give you the information.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Enthusiast

My 2005 is a few miles under 60,000... Still lovin' it!

Dave

Old 05-06-2007, 04:23 PM

Holy crap! And I thought I had a lot of miles.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: 35,242 Miles On My HAH (May 1, 2007)

We drive the Accord everywhere we can!
Our other cars are a 97 Toyota Landcruiser and an 89 Volvo 740... We bought the Accord in August of '05 when our gas card bill looked more like a mortgage payment than a gas bill! I drive the Honda 4-5 days a week from South of Waxahachie to Dallas and back. Guess the miles add up quickly. Plus, driving the HAH is fun, still!

Old 05-06-2007, 10:01 PM

South of what?! Looks like your cat walked across your keyboard as you were trying to type your city.

Have you had any problems with your HAH up to this point? Sounds like you had trouble free miles.

We bought our HAH as a roadtrip car as well as a daily commuter. But, we recently bought an Odyssey, so I see my annual mileage going down in my HAH.

The HAH is great. I had a problem with a knucklehead in a Lexus E2 or E3-something last night. I don't recall what the actual number was, as I really didn't pay that car much attention. He was changing lanes with no signal and cutting people off as he was trying to move in and out of traffic to get ahead of everyone who were moving at a pretty even pace. When we left the city area and came into the rural area, the traffic thinned out. I was able to maneuver around the Lexus and an SUV and get ahead of them, all the while thinking, okay now I can get away from this nonsense. The funny thing was, I wasn't even trying to jockey for lane position. I just stayed in my lane most of the time and rode with the rest of the traffic. This Lexus was just haulin' butt to get around some cars, just to get held up by other cars and end up in the back again. So I'm in the left lane at the head of the pack and the Lexus is the third car behind in the right lane. The light ahead turned red. And we all came to a stop. Of course, the two cars in the right lane turned right, which put the Lexus next to me. By now, I figure he'd just given up on driving agressively and would just be happy being up front. So I didn't even consider this guy would continue to be a knucklehead. But, as the light turned green, he floored it and started to take off. I'm guessing because he saw that his lane was ending way up the road from the intersection. Hell, I was up for some fun, so I floored it as well. Unfortunately, he had a good second or so jump on me. I laid into the throttle and slowly but surely, began to pass him. I went from a few feet behind him to a few feet ahead of him as we broke 70 MPH on a 60 MPH rural highway. His lane began to end, so he just got in behind me and slowed waaay down. Perhaps he was embarrased by the fact that my dusty and dirty (we recently had a dust storm and I haven't washed my car since) Accord beat his shiny new Lexus. Afterall, I was only driving a family car. Who knows. I really didn't care. I just locked the cruise control in at 70 and kept on truckin'.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

Waxahachie is about 30 mi south of Dallas on I35.

With 60k miles on it I hesitate to say they were trouble free - Children and mechanical things Love to make liers of us!

About your story, I know where you are coming from! We have big SUVs and pick-ups all all over the place here in Texas and I seriously enjoy leaving them in my dust and still top 33 MPG! It is all about HP to weight! Or having somone in a "muscle car" beside me and just easing away from them when it turns green. Never fails that they can't stand having a honda stay with them and they have to burn off a couple of gallons proving me unworthy...

The SUVs and pick-ups are a lot of fun to surprise, especially if on has been tailgating me. Next light I punch it and leave them wondering!

Old 05-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

bar10dah,

How tricky is it to swap out the engine air filter on the HAH?

I too have an o5 and just hit 19k miles but getting ready for another road trip and thought I would swap it out BUT figured you may be able to share some tips. Maybe its not difficult at all. Just want to be sure I dont need to remove half the engine to get to what looks like a simple procedure.

I did look at the honda web site for o5 recalls and mine is not listed. I feel so left out! I dont know if this is a good or bad thing not to be on the list for the latest recall.

Knock on wood, not one problem yet.

thanks in advance for the info.

Tony

Old 05-09-2007, 07:36 PM

First, it's good not to be included in the recall. They're only recalling the ones they feel have the "potential" to break and cause corrosion. It's not that all units will break, but the possibility exists.

The engine air filter is pretty easy. Open the hood. Locate large black box on the driver side of the engine compartment. Use phillps screwdriver and loosen four screws holding the cover onto the airbox. The screws will unscrew from the lower airbox portion, but won't come apart from the top of the airbox cover. Which, is good, so you won't loose those screws. Then, do a little wiggle and a little maneuvering and pull the airbox cover off. You don't have to pull it out fully. Just enough to be able to reach inside and pull out the air filter. Take note of how it came out. That way, you can put the replacement filter back in the right way. There's a definite side that faces up and a definite side that goes in first. Once the new filter is in place, the reinstallation is the opposite of disassembly.

It's kinda dark outside right now, but if you need more detail, I can go out and take some pictures for you.

I'm not sure what the going rate is these days, but I think most shops will charge you at least a half an hour labor rate to do this job. Plus, the expensive markup of OEM parts from the parts counter. I'd guess this job will cost you at least $70 at the dealer. Maybe more. But, doing it yourself, all you pay for is the part. I think these filters are about $15-$20 from an autoparts store.

If I recall correctly, I got a mailer from my local Honda dealer. They had a coupon in it for a discounted cabin air filter replacement. I think the coupon was for $118. The filter cost me $17! And I did the job in less than 5 minutes. Those thievin' bastards...

Quick Reply: 35,242 Miles On My HAH (May 1, 2007)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands