3M Clearguard - peeling @ 4mos

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Rarely post anything
Default 3M Clearguard - peeling @ 4mos

As we all know how easily the paint chips on our Hondas, I decided that *this* time around, I was going to make an effort to protect the paint.

Bras were out of the question, given their adverse effects

Then I found out about this product. Research I did showed about 99% favorable response, one report of peeling (after a couple of years). Came with a 5yr warranty. Found a local dealer, $180 for the basic kit (15" up hood, l-r panels adjacent to grille, side mirrors), and decided to give it a try.

Saturday, after looking it over from a fund-raising car wash (no, not the quality I'd give it myself, but, hey, it was for a good cause, and by hand), I looked at the film at the one side of the grille, and... "is that...peeling in the corner ?" Ran my thumbnail over it, and sure enough, it was. Then I went to the other side.... "can I make it peel ?" And sadly, I could - pretty easily.

I didn't peel it off, or very far - but it is now exhibiting peeling, and it's only been on the car about 4 months. The day it was put on was very cold - but the car was brought inside, and washed beforehand - I'd think it had time to warm up before the film was applied. I don't know if the summer heat loosened up the film, or what. I remember the tech who put it on being very adamant that it wouldn't come off - we'll see what he has to say when he sees my car on warranty claim

At this point, I don't think I'll be getting the lower front kit ($480!) installed.

Just a note to provide feedback for those who might be considering this option (it *does* look aesthetically pleasing, compared to a bra, FWIW). Using spacing & intervals *may* help keep the stone chips off the front, now that I'm not following cars as closely as I used to.

Last edited by GreenAndBlue; 06-27-2005 at 01:22 PM.