Costs

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Costs

Hi,
Read all the threads here and didn't find anything. Anyways, how much does it cost to maintain a hybrid Accord? Like is there anything extra besides the usual stuff(oil change...etc)?

Also, how long does the battery last? Asked a salesman today and he said something around $6000 CAN, which is really expensive. He said it'll last around 7 years or 130 000km. So I'm just wondering if this is true.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Costs

There are NO additional regular maintenance costs to be expected. Change oil & fluids on the same schedule as any other Accord. Nada. Nothing. Zip.

Honda has replaced "single digits" numbers of battery packs from Insights. That's from one of their execs a few months back. Bottom line is that the batteries are very reliable. The warrantee in the US is is 8/80, 10/150 for the PZEV cars in the PZEV states (CA, MA, etc). The few folks here who have asked about battery replacements have all quoted somewhere around $2-3K US, IIRC. Expensive, but in line with other critical parts- tranny comes to mind. It should be quite cheaper by the time one can expect a pack to need replacement. Honda has been replacing some packs free, as 'goodwill' even if they are technically out of warrantee.

Another item of interest...
The Honda system does not require the large battery to be functional in order to be able to drive the car. As long as it can still conduct current to pass charge from the motor/generator through to the 12v battery, you will have full functionality. Just no IMA assist, and no autostop. Hondas have a 12v starter as backup. It will simply act as a 'regular' Accord. Cylinder shutdown might still work- I don't know if anybody's asked that to Honda yet. In which case you would still be able to get 40+mpg with ease on the highway.

Bottom line- replacing the battery should be pretty low on the list o' concerns, because its not a concern. Its a Honda.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks alot for the info.

It's really appealing that if the battery dies, the car can still work as a regular Accord. I guess the only concern left for me is the trunk space. I'll have to think that part out before going for the hybrid. Anyways, thanks again.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:07 AM

trunk space is barely decreased. Like 3 inches depth I think? I still fit all our luggage in no problem.

Only down side is that you can't drop the rear seats...if that matters to you.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Enthusiast

Just another question, if the battery does die and say that I don't feel like replacing it. Would the A/C still work? I read somewhere that says that it's powered by the battery or something like that.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:10 AM

it runs off the engine when the engine is on, and the battery when the engine is off/autostop. Without the big battery, the engine will not autostop so AC will still work off the engine.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by gonavy
Expensive, but in line with other critical parts- tranny comes to mind.
Good point.

When should an auto tranny have to be rebuilt? I'm not that knowledgeable on auto trannys, since I've mostly owned manuals.

I've had the auto tranny rebuilt on my '59 Ford. That cost roughly $1,200. Don't know about the longevity of it.

I've had the clutch components replaced in my '93 GMC for about $450. I think it went out at around 80K?

Old 12-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast

It needs to be rebuilt when it needs to? I don't know.

Our old Mazda 88 626's transmission finally went kaput a few weeks ago, the car was like at 500 000km and everything was just going haywire by then.

I'm hoping if I do get the HAH, it could last as long as the 626. The HAH are built in Japan right?

Old 12-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by Railroad
I'm hoping if I do get the HAH, it could last as long as the 626. The HAH are built in Japan right?

From the window sticker on mine:

PARTS CONTENT INFORMATION for vehicles in this car line:

US/Canadian Parts content: 70%
Major sources of Foreign Parts Content: JAPAN 15%

NOTE: Parts content does not include final assembly, distribution or other non-parts costs.

FOR THIS VEHICLE:
Final Assembly Point: SAYAMA, SAITAMA, JAPAN
Country of Origin, Engine: JAPAN
Transimission: JAPAN

Old 12-12-2005, 07:47 PM

Yes, built in Japan. Hence, the J as the first character in the VIN.