Old 12-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Disturbing Discovery As I'm Under The Dash

You must have misunderstood, then...

Old 12-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Also, if they noted it in their database (which I'm sure they have). They can't void your warranty by saying you did the work.

Twue. The only caveat is that a repair on a "did it myself" job of any kind would be that it's like going "out of network" with your health insurance: they're going to charge you going-rate to put the car back to spec.

Good news is, it won't kill the warranty, but I can imagine what it would cost to replace a radio or reinstall a wiring harness.

(Actually the "wiring harness" issue was the camel's-back-breaking straw that shocked all my friends when I left home one day with a 1995 Mercedes E320 wagon, and returned with a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. One too many days of coming home to find all the interior lights on in the car, and NO way to turn them off, save pull the fuse. )

Old 12-28-2005, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast

Just to let you know

There is a wire that is taped to the courtesy light harness in the headliner. It's main use is for adding an automatic mirror. Switched power and ground are available there. I know this because not only did I install the mirror, I put my radar detector in the same place!

see ya
aligate

Old 12-28-2005, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by aligate
There is a wire that is taped to the courtesy light harness...Switched power and ground are available there.

Originally Posted by bar10dah
After I get all of that out of the opening, I see that the wires that go into that unit are really small gauge and very very short leads. They barely came out of the opening in the ceiling! Workable, but not desireable.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

since we're alking about wiring here is this the place to ask why the light in the glove compartment stays on all the time? And only goes on when the headlights are turned on...
My guess is Honda is saving 15 cents on an off button (like in the refrigerator). Sometimes I miss my overstuffed Buick.....

Old 01-18-2006, 03:56 PM

This was mentioned in a previous thread. Don't really know the though process behind that. Perhaps eliminating the switch was just one less thing to break? It's all speculation at this point.

I bet if we talked to a Honda engineer, they'd either have a nice thorough explanation for it, or say it was economized out.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast
Red face Re: Disturbing Discovery As I'm Under The Dash

sorry if I changed direction in the thread. I'm new and I'm still having some trouble navigating the site. (Perhaps I should have gotten the Navi system after all...)
Thanks for the comment though. While you were under the dash did you see any way to install an off switch for the glove compartment?

Old 01-18-2006, 05:37 PM

No problem! Ask anything. Even in this thread. Lots of helpful members on this forum.

Installing an off switch is more trouble than it's worth. It would be easier just to remove the light bulb. Why do you want to turn off the light? Pet peeve? I can't see the glovebox light at all while driving. Are you seeing it as a passenger in the car?

Old 01-19-2006, 07:40 AM
Enthusiast

My passenger is the pet peeve...he's an engineer and the inelegence (is there such a word?) of the design bothers him. Along with most everything else in the world. Besides he just likes to pick on the car. He calls us all 'hybrid snobs'. He, however, is driving my 1989 Honda Accord LXi (5 speed 4 cyl. and still gets 34 mpg). It's amazing how much Honda hasn't changed in 15+ years!
Thanks for the geography lesson on El Mirage..I'm a rallyist and I just like to know where things are.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:51 PM

I never really noticed the light until someone mentioned it on this forum. I then went outside to check, and sure enough, there it was. Since I can't see it, it doesn't bother me. But if I were a passenger...