FM radio static: "Characteristic of the vehicle"

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default FM radio static: "Characteristic of the vehicle"

I have posted here before to see if others experience static on their Accord Hybrid FM radios. The static sounds like someone is crinkling a plastic grocery bag, and is especially noticeable when the IMA engages. It is easiest to hear on talk radio (NPR) or classical stations where there are periods of silence. It occurs only on FM, not AM or XM.

I have complained in writing several times to American Honda and have been told that "it is a characteristic of the vehicle." I have had the car at 2 different dealers since January, and the dealers have contacted their national technical support folks, and there is no solution.

I have just spoken again to American Honda customer service asking for a status update, and was told that there is no solution and that the engineers have determined that this is not a defect and that they are not pursuing a solution.

I have also been told by Honda that they have reproduced the problem on other Accord Hybrids. But they have no plans to fix the problem or to give me a new radio. (I can only assume that not all radios have this problem because nobody else seems to be complaining.) Their "corporate response" to the problem is that this is a characteristic of the vehicle.

I asked about whether this problem exists on the 2006 Accord Hybrids as well, and how could Honda possibly consider this acceptable quality. The customer service rep said again that it is not considered a defect and if a consumer test drives an Accord Hybrid and notice the static, then he/she may simply decide not to by the Accord Hybrid. But it is not a defect.

I also asked why the local Honda dealer had not yet heard of this problem from other customers when I brought my car there in August. (Seems like ample time for a "characteristic of the vehicle" to show up in customer complaints.) The customer service rep's reply was that they hadn't heard other customer complaints but they reproduced the problem with another Accord Hybrid on their lot.

So I will ask it again here: does ANYONE else have this problem?

And does anyone have ideas for getting a real solution out of American Honda?

Old 10-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FM radio static: "Characteristic of the vehicle"

You probably wil not get a solution from them- sounds like their mind is made up for now.

It is possibly caused by a bad/intermittent ground isolation on the radio somewhere (not all electrical grounds are created equal). If you can find a good stereo shop with a real electronics tech, they might be able to chase it down. Its not an easy thing to do.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

I seem to get that static/popping noise as well, but usually only when it's warm outside and it was noticable mostly on the front right speaker even when the radio was turned off. Now that fall is here I haven't heard it, but this summer I was starting to get really annoyed. I knew if i took it to the dealer they wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I had a simialar problem to what you guys are experecing, but for me, the problem was that my speakers would start to HUMMMM like a subwoffer does, so i got the speakers changed from the dealership twice, but still had a problem, so i got fed up and called Amercian Honda. and then they told me that they are about to bring out a counterpart to fix the problem wit the speakers. today i had the counter part put in my car. things seem to be working fine so far. But if the dealership does not fix your problem tell them that you did not pay for that when you bought the car, and if the problem continues then tell it is a Lemon Car.

Old 10-06-2005, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by caymandiver75
I seem to get that static/popping noise as well, but usually only when it's warm outside and it was noticable mostly on the front right speaker even when the radio was turned off. Now that fall is here I haven't heard it, but this summer I was starting to get really annoyed. I knew if i took it to the dealer they wouldn't be able to do anything about it.
popping from a single speaker indicates an intermittent short in the wiring ot that speaker. You got a loose wire or trerminal with uninsulated metal tapping something.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

Well, I'm having the exact same problems with speaker noise. EVEN WITH THE RADIO OFF! Honda needs to concede that this IS NOT a characteristic of ANY vehicle. I would assume that the majority of the people that own hybrids are somewhat techno savvy. My guess is it is a lack of proper shielding at the speaker. Being that the speakers sits pretty much next to the 144 VDC main battery, I would have to say it is due to Electromagnetic Interference, (EMI). A shielded speaker wire would do the trick, but Honda should do the work and replace the wire. My car is brand new!!!

Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast

Hi

I haven't had any static/popping sounds, but a couple of times I have had half a walkie-talkie type conversation - once when the radio was OFF, though I guess the IMA ANR is always "on"

Anyone else had this ??

Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Enthusiast

I also have poor FM radio reception, and always have, on a 2006 Accord Hybrid. I have noted that the external antenna is removable, but have done no further investigation; I mostly transmit mp3s to the radio these days.

Originally Posted by GeorgePBurdell
I have posted here before to see if others experience static on their Accord Hybrid FM radios. The static sounds like someone is crinkling a plastic grocery bag, and is especially noticeable when the IMA engages. It is easiest to hear on talk radio (NPR) or classical stations where there are periods of silence. It occurs only on FM, not AM or XM.

I have complained in writing several times to American Honda and have been told that "it is a characteristic of the vehicle." I have had the car at 2 different dealers since January, and the dealers have contacted their national technical support folks, and there is no solution.

I have just spoken again to American Honda customer service asking for a status update, and was told that there is no solution and that the engineers have determined that this is not a defect and that they are not pursuing a solution.

I have also been told by Honda that they have reproduced the problem on other Accord Hybrids. But they have no plans to fix the problem or to give me a new radio. (I can only assume that not all radios have this problem because nobody else seems to be complaining.) Their "corporate response" to the problem is that this is a characteristic of the vehicle.

I asked about whether this problem exists on the 2006 Accord Hybrids as well, and how could Honda possibly consider this acceptable quality. The customer service rep said again that it is not considered a defect and if a consumer test drives an Accord Hybrid and notice the static, then he/she may simply decide not to by the Accord Hybrid. But it is not a defect.

I also asked why the local Honda dealer had not yet heard of this problem from other customers when I brought my car there in August. (Seems like ample time for a "characteristic of the vehicle" to show up in customer complaints.) The customer service rep's reply was that they hadn't heard other customer complaints but they reproduced the problem with another Accord Hybrid on their lot.

So I will ask it again here: does ANYONE else have this problem?

And does anyone have ideas for getting a real solution out of American Honda?

Old 06-20-2008, 08:27 AM

I've been listening to FM for the past several months, and haven't had a single issue with reception.

However, when using my handheld aviation radio, I get static on it when the IMA engages. I have to turn the squelch all the way up to stop the IMA from interfering with it.