Help me Honda, help me Honda owners...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Help me Honda, help me Honda owners...

Originally Posted by HondaHondo
Hey thanks for the terrific replies. I will follow all your suggestions.

I should have clarified i live in surburbia and commute into Manhattan and do a third of the drive on local roads, 1/3 on the FDR which is a coasting 45-55 mph when I commute, and the final third in traffic. I've driven out to PA and also to Southern NJ - highway 90% of the way.

Let's see if we can make adjustments and get the next tank at better mpg.
You might try resetting one of the trip odometers for each of the 3 parts of your trip, and see what each segment comes out. You might find you're getting 15 or something on the local roads, with a mostly cold engine, 40 or so on the highway, then 12 in traffic. Driving in true traffic is an mpg killer, even with a hybrid. The EPA city mpg figure that's on the window sticker is based on "city" driving that doesn't match what most people consider "city" driving.

Old 10-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Help me Honda, help me Honda owners...

You know, my previous was an 03 Accord EX and I never really checked the MPG. I do know that is has the same size tank and I am filling up more now.

I ran a few segment tests and am getting close to 9 in the city, 14 on local roads and 28 on highway.

I do get spurts of 40 on highway. I did 53 going down a huge 2 mile hill. So the thing ain't stuck. But even driving very ECO conscious I only log in my whole commute of 25 miles into Manhattan at around 19-20.

Last tank was 18.7 MPG for 216.5 miles.

Consumer Reports said that the Hybrid should get better MPG than any other Accord - 4 or 6 cyl. They are just above Manhattan so their city driving is considered NYC but not sure if they go into Manhattan. They are in a hilly area. They tested much better than me. They got 18 city compared to my 9-14 range. They averaged 29 when I average 18-19. I know those guys are highly critical and test for reality. Hmmmm...

So I'm still working on this. My wife says the thing is broken. She gets worse MPG than me...

Old 10-22-2005, 07:58 PM

Consumer Reports does not test for reality. They just report on what THEY got on their testing. There realy is no objective reality with regaurds to FE. Every drive is different. Even the same driver on the same road at the same time of day can have different day to day numbers.

Has anything helped at all? I would think inflating the tires would give you some boost in your numbers even if nothing else does.

Old 10-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast

True, there is no objective reality but there is a collective reality. So unless everyone who has weighed in on MPG -- from CR right down to the forum users-- are shading the truth, I am an exception, so far. Everyone's collective experience tells me that I am getting less than I should.

I've had the opportunity to work with the people at CU and other indepenent (unpaid) testing failities and they come close to the consumer's experience. The cars are driven by people in everyday circumstances.

But I do realize that there are many factors in the CR testing that might or might not relate to my unique driving experience. So I refer again to the colletive evidence suggests that I'm underperforming.

My tire pressure is right on. I have not played with that yet.

One thing that Honda passed on to me, which you all have confirmed, is that there is a breaking in periood. This was charted on the EPA web site as well. Long range testing showed that as you begin to head toward 2K miles you increase your MPG noticeably. They charted two HAH over several months.

So, unless someone else can confirm that they too are getting 9 city and averaging 18 MPG, I have to believe there is much more to explore on my end.

Old 10-23-2005, 09:38 AM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: Help me Honda, help me Honda owners...

True, there is no objective reality but there is a collective reality. So unless everyone who has weighed in on MPG -- from CR right down to the forum users-- are shading the truth, I am an exception, so far. Everyone's collective experience tells me that I am getting less than I should.

I've had the opportunity to work with the people at CU and other indepenent (unpaid) testing failities and they come close to the consumer's experience. The cars are driven by people in everyday circumstances.

But I do realize that there are many factors in the CR testing that might or might not relate to my unique driving experience. So I refer again to the colletive evidence suggests that I'm underperforming.

My tire pressure is right on. I have not played with that yet.

One thing that Honda passed on to me, which you all have confirmed, is that there is a breaking in periood. This was charted on the EPA web site as well. Long range testing showed that as you begin to head toward 2K miles you increase your MPG noticeably. They charted two HAH over several months.

So, unless someone else can confirm that they too are getting 9 city and averaging 18 MPG, I have to believe there is much more to explore on my end.
Hi; I have been reading your post and the different post of others regarding your FE and have just a few things to say. I have owned many-many Hondas over the yrs. including the Hot Dog 6-Speed 2-door coupes and (NONE) have ever come even close to the FE you are experiencing with you car. I do not live in N.Y. but I have driven the crap out of some of the cars and believe me they did not get 9 MPG City, 14 Hwy. , if they did I would have traded them off A.S.A.P. and never looked back. I realize that this info. is not telling you how to improve your existing FE but I hope that it will tell you that I am not aware of any Honda that gets that sorry of FE period. I'm sorry but I think I would consider getting rid of that car and move on because truthfully I cannot see you changing these numbers to where they make some (Major-Improvement).

This is not meant to "Slam" Honda but more I hope to simply say to you if (No-One) including Honda can offer some real assistance to this situation I would think about getting rid of the car unless you can (Live) with the FE it is going to deliver even after some miles is put on it.

I wish you the very best and hope you can come up to some solution that will work for you.

Regards

Terry

Old 10-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the last post. Yes this my fifth Honda, my third Accord. The dealer is mystified at my MPG. They've received no other complaints. I haven't taken it in yet but will soon. Apparently if there was something detectable wrong the check engine light would go on. It hasn't.

I'm trying all the various options and then will go to dealer. I have an excellent relationship with them and they've been calling me to ask me if things have improved.

I am not a Honda or Hybrid basher by any means so I am looking for this to fly and I believe it will.

Old 10-23-2005, 09:51 AM

Well, I notice you said you didn't touch the tire preasure yet. Did you test it to make sure it as inflated properly? I have heard a report that someone got a car from a dealer and one of the tires was under inflated. This did give them poor gas mileage.

Also, you say that you should be getting what the average person is getting for FE. But your comute isn't average its pretty nightmareish. Have you tested your fe in other areas? I wish I lived near you so I could see the conditions and your driving habits to help you decide if its the car the commute or driver. Its probably the commute. I got 1/2 the mpg I usualy get when I followed my wife to the car dealer through a congested city.

Please check the tire pressure though. Other than commute I would say it would have the most effect.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:10 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Help me Honda, help me Honda owners...

Thanks for the last post. Yes this my fifth Honda, my third Accord. The dealer is mystified at my MPG. They've received no other complaints. I haven't taken it in yet but will soon. Apparently if there was something detectable wrong the check engine light would go on. It hasn't.

I'm trying all the various options and then will go to dealer. I have an excellent relationship with them and they've been calling me to ask me if things have improved.

I am not a Honda or Hybrid basher by any means so I am looking for this to fly and I believe it will.

I just read this post of yours where you are saying you have an (Excellent) working relationship with your Honda Dealer.

That being the case I think I may have some additional comments at this point that (Will-Help-You). I suggest you stop driving this Accord A.S.A.P. and take it back to your Dealer. Get your dealer to let you drive another one of the HAH (Honda Accord Hybrids) that they have even if it has miles on it and then you will see for yourself if there is any real difference between the two cars.

Your dealer should "Jump" all over this idea because it will possibly save them "Throwing" alot of maybe unneaded parts on your car and at the same time simply find out is it the conditions that you are driving under that is giving you the (Very-Reduced-MPG). Very-Poor- FE:

Good-Luck and I really hope that your dealer will try this and then you and your dealer will still have a great working relationship after it is all said and done with (NO-Ill-Feelings) for the either of you.

Gook-Luck; and let us know here on the Forums how things work out.

HTH

Terry

Old 10-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I was about to suggest the same thing; sounds like you and the Service dept get along. Ask them about a 'loaner' for a day or 2 while they take your car and drive it around, then comapre notes. A good mechanic will jump at the chance to see what's going on for more than a 5min test drive.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:26 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up UPDATE

Okay here's an update...

I think I've figured it out. I did exclusive highway driving to test and got 40 plus mpg. But my city still was pretty dismal. So I created three categories of driving:

1. City - stop and go Manhattan
  2. Local - suburban
  3. Highway - cruising on 3 - 4 lane roads
Using those categories, my wife and I drove seperately resetting the trip mpg for several trips in each category.

Paying close attention to the ECO light even at the cost of running behind schedule we posted these ranges:

1. City - 9 - 16 mpg
  2. Local - 15 - 24 mpg
  3. Highway 33 - 45 mpg
We were able to stay near the upper end of the ranges most of the time. It just seems to me that the HAH just doesn't do as well on mpg when you need to get through and around traffic. It needs all those rip roaring 6 cyl. I know this seems obvious but I guess i didn't expect the difference to be that great.

We did get our average commute up from 18 mpg to 27 mpg being very careful in the city and trying to cruise on the open road.

That's the biggie. A commute like that gives us better mpg than the 4 cyl Accord and more pwer when needed. It's also tighter ride.

Anyway I'm much less concerned but still have some kinks to work out.

And...it would be a great service to inform anyone about to purchase a hybrid that to take advantage of the green factor and make it worth the extra dollars, you do need to adjust the way you drive. It actually makes a cleaner, sharper driver, less sloppy drive. But it is a change to get uses to...

Thanks all for your help.

Quick Reply: Help me Honda, help me Honda owners...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands