Info on Honda Accord Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

Just wondering if anyone had any info or links on the upcomming Accord Hybrid. My girlfriend is looking for a new car in the next 6 months and i'm trying to talk her into a Hybrid.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Site Founder

We've heard little lately about the Accord. Keep an eye on the Hybrid News section.

Old 05-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast

When I purchased my HCH recently there was an article there about the Accord hybrid

full 6 cylinder and hybrid system with the capability to shut down 3 cylinders when possible, this is about all I remember unfortunatly

Old 05-26-2004, 04:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___I read of some that have actually driven one on a test track in Japan … The VCM or 6 to 3 and 3 to 6 cylinder shutdown and re-initiation is seamless other then a light on the dash lighting up and the performance available once the 6 cylinders are back on line. The Economy will be that of a Civic. Which Civic and what exact economy has yet to be published. If you are a performance minded individual, 0 - 60 in 6.5 seconds is the latest rumor. It uses the std. 240 HP V6 with another 25 - 50 HP of pack via IMA (I haven’t a clue as to how much power will be available from the IMA?) for its low end and torque output. A screamer with Civic mileage is about the best way to describe it … I hope? Oh, and prices speculated are anywhere from $28K to $33K? That sounds like a lot of $$$’s for a true mid-size automobile to me but the performance aspect is nothing to sneeze at, that is for sure. No word on if the Accord Hybrid can be driven off the pack alone. The IMA system is capable of it for a short distance and very slow speed in the 2000 MY Insights after they run out of gas and are still moving but it is not a practical EV mode like that of the Prius’. With a larger capacity pack and electrics, who knows? We shall all see soon enough.

___My sources are the Edmunds Hybrid – Accord – Camry Hybrid forums and Temple of Vtec something or other

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 05-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Site Founder

Is Honda planning on simply entering the "mild" hybrid market? By the true definition (as both the motor and engine ought to propel) it seems as if Toyota is the only automaker to offer complete [actual] hybrids. Is this an accurate assessment?

Old 05-26-2004, 04:46 PM

Hi Jason:

___I don’t know? With Honda’s wizards at work, I don’t see why a 25 - 50 HP capable pack could not propel the Accord Hybrid on electrics alone w/ a VCM system taking out all cylinders to reduce drag if in fact it were to spin the ICE as well as the wheels? An electric clutch assembly (ala Acura MDX rear drive clutch setup) could probably easily take the ICE out of the picture for the IMA alone as well? The item that gives IMA the edge is that it is more cost effective and can be mated with any ICE Honda has to offer as the car is not designed around the HSD but the IMA is designed into the car? Which one is better? I would have to say the HSD’s overall implementation is more advanced but it is a costly SOB and probably a less efficient overall design then a 5-speed mated to an IMA equipped automobile. Then again, the Prius is one heavy automobile and it appears that it has the efficiency advantage (real mileage database HCH vs. Prius averages?) with the additional heft. If only you could purchase an HSD setup in an automobile costing far less then $23 - $27K currently? Daihatsu UFE-II for $13K please

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 10-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

Found a review of the Accord Hybrid on MSN autos site. Here's a link: http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?c...me&pos=EditLead

Old 10-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

according to one article.. i estimated the savings compared to the cost of a normal accord

and it turns out that it would take 9.6 years in order to save enough to actually have the same price as the normal accord.

the only benefit of this would to be able to help the environment more than you would a normal accord.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:22 PM

Hi Flare:

___In terms of saving the environment … Except in the case of the PZEV based Accord I4 available in the states of CA, NY, ME, VT, and MA.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 10-05-2004, 08:14 PM

Wayne,
I was thinking about what might be used on the IMA-II in class the other day and had an interesting thought, what if the motor is placed downside the clutch (sandwiched w/ the trans), now i realize this would only really work w/ a CVT(or require extensive driver training), but it would allow for the motor to be the sole propultion of the car at slow speeds. i guess a small motor would still have to be sandwitched w/ the engine though to allow autostop to be effective.
Cheers,
Steven

Quick Reply: Info on Honda Accord Hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands