Just checkin in...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Just checkin in...

I picked up an 07 HAH in New York the end of May and drove it back to Tucson (with my buddy helping do some driving).

The mileage on the drive back really varied (29 to 34+) but averaged 31.8 mpg. Also, since I had to get back in three days, we didn't have the luxury of cruising and the last part of the trip we had brutal head winds. So, given all the conditions, I don't think the mileage was too bad.

Getting about 31 to 32 in town so far.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Just checkin in...

Hey there Tucson,
I picked up a 05' accord hybrid 2 weeks ago with only 20,000 miles on it. I was getting 39 mpg going to work and 34 coming home due to winds very consistently(50 mile trek, half hwy and half city). I filled my tires from 32psi to 35psi and am getting 42/37 respectively. It really helped with the 3psi extra. These mpg's are with my a/c set to 68 degrees. The key is Eco mode as much as possible and timing lights and traffic with rpm's below 2 grand as much as possible. The thing is you can still drive this car aggressivley and get 4 cylinder mpg's. I'm "extremely" happy with this car...luxury, power "and" economy....My first Honda and it won't be my last

Nicholas

Last edited by upabove; 07-13-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Welcome TucsonHAH and Upabove!

There's a lot of great information on the HAH in these threads. Take some time to read through it. I'm sure you'll learn a lot about your cars and may also have some of your own experiences to share.

Yeah TusconHAH, if you were only averaging about 32 MPG, that's still pretty good! Especially across the country, where most of the speed limits probably put you at about 80-85 MPH most of the way. I did almost an exact 4,000 mile trip a couple years ago in my HAH and burned almost exactly 100 gallons. My average speed was ~71 MPH the whole trip. So as you can see, if you had the luxury of slowing down about 10-15 MPH, you'll get a nice increase in fuel economy. Either way, 32 MPG is still pretty darned good for your cross country adventure!

BTW, why did you have to go all the way up to NY to pick up an HAH?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Nicolas, I tried writing back and I see it didn't show up!?! Probably my error! I'll write back to you and bar10dah both...

A long story made very short is a friend was talking and talking about getting a hybrid - most likely a Camry. So I finally got SO frustrated that I said I'll get one before you buddy! I knew the HAH's weren't being made anymore (in '08) but I did an internet search and still found about 2 dozen ('07's) on car lots, UNSOLD! They were mainly in the NE. After a few near purchases, I pinned one down at Paragon Honda in Qweens. I flew out and pick it up. Yep, my return speed was high and I knew my poor HAH wasn't being allowed to sip the gas on that trip!

On a maintenance note, I usually have used Mobil 1 in my vehicles. What are your thoughts on going to that next or possibly waiting another change or so?

John

Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TucsonHAH
I usually have used Mobil 1 in my vehicles. What are your thoughts on going to that next or possibly waiting another change or so?
I did my first oil change with Honda 5W-20 oil at 5K. Then starting at 10K, I do an oil change with Mobil 1 5W-20 every 5K, mostly because I live in a desert climate. If my temps were more normalized, I would stick with oil changes every 7,500 miles, as per the "timer" on the odometer. I don't know about the '06 and '07 HAH, but the '05 HAH doesn't have a Maintenance Minder, just a timer clock that flashes maintenance due at 6,000 miles and then comes on steadily at 7,500 to let you know it's time to change the oil, IIRC. However, if I had the Maintenance Minder, like I do on my Odyssey, I'd use that to tell me when to change my oil. From everything I've seen, the Maintenance Minder is a pretty good determinant as to the useful life of the oil.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...brid-hah-4788/