Just did an oil change at 3750. Oil was sooooo dirty

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 08:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just did an oil change at 3750. Oil was sooooo dirty

I saw that too. That is why I am concerned.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

OEM Honda oil filters (the blue shrink wrapped filters available from the parts counter at the Honda dealership) are manufactured by Filtech, Inc. in Ohio (they are stamped "Filtech"). Filtech is the USA subsidiary of Toyo Roki in Japan. The original filter on my HAH (which was assembled in Japan) was a Toyo Roki filter. Here is a link to the Filtech plant through the Toyo Roki website http://www.toyoroki.co.jp/e/oversea/ov01.html#usa

Old 12-29-2005, 10:57 PM
Enthusiast

Buy a Mobil1 filter for 10 bucks and you won't be sorry. Purolator PureOne is also excellent I hear

Old 12-30-2005, 12:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I saw Bosch for $5.99 at AutoZone today. That may be a good buy. I hear they're good filters. Although, I don't have any experience with them. But, I do like their spark plugs!

As far as motorcycles go, Honda makes a pretty good oil filter. Hope that stems from their automotive applications. Several racers and hard core motorcyclists swear by OEM Honda filters. If the automotive filters are just as good, we can't go wrong sticking with OEM.

On another note, testing was done on a dyno and some other contraption used to measure air velocity. The testers found that the stock air filter in the CBR1100XX (one of Honda's bikes) created the same (and sometimes better) amount of air flow and rear wheel power as the more expensive K&N air filters. So the only benefit of installing a K&N would be that it's cleanable. But, for the trouble, I've stuck with the stock throw away filter. Less time buying cleaning/oiling supplies and less time spent doing the actual cleaning equals more riding time!

There are also reuseable oil filters out on the market for motorcycles. I'm sure there out there for cars, as well.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I finally got around to looking at my oil filter. It states that it is made in Canada by Honeywell. Anyone heard of this filter company?

Old 12-30-2005, 02:05 PM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by gonavy
0w20 is not easily available for general retail; Mobil stopped making it a year ago (restarting it this summer) and Pennzoil just began to distribute it. So for now, get it from your dealer or NAPA has some in inventory. There's a post here that the Pennzoil can be ordered online now.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...light=pennzoil

Crush washers: this is the washer for the oilpan plug. Most mfg's use a .
Just a heads-up for future oil changers, NAPA has tons of mobil 1 0W20 in their warehouses. I just ordered 2 cases (12 qt's).

Old 12-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good to hear. Any idea what the 5W-20 is costing? I was at AutoZone yesterday and it was a little more than $5/quart. I think it was $5.29/quart.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:20 PM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Good to hear. Any idea what the 5W-20 is costing? I was at AutoZone yesterday and it was a little more than $5/quart. I think it was $5.29/quart.
The on-line price has it at 4.99 for 0W20, 5-20 is probably the same. So I would say anything around $5/qt is good.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

regarding the oil filters and thier quality, here was a link i think i followed from somewhere else. Tears apart and decribes quality of many different filters.

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...lterstudy.html

I found it interesting, and if I do my own changes will refer to this. I also want to find the post somewhere on here that put the viscosity of a couple 0W-20 oils, I thought they all would have been the same, but I think it was Mobil synthetic with slightly less resistance than Amsoil.

I am sure Honda uses high quality products for their service departments. Prevents spending more money in free repair costs in the long run, and Honda has always seemed to be a company that cares more about keeping customers and building qualtiy products and making them last. Or maybe it is all the Hondas my friends and I have owned that accumulated over 200-300k and still running.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Just did an oil change at 3750. Oil was sooooo dirty

Hi, new member, long time (7 months) lurker....
I have 5600 miles on my HAH and am getting ready to do the first oil change. My question is why does my Honda dealer want to charge me $10 extra for a standard oil change (he's already much more expensive than Jiffy Lube et al), is there something tricky about the oil change on a Hybrid that I should know? Can I trust Jiffy Lube or other chain for a simple oil change? I see that you big strong men out there are doing them yourselves, so...(I haven't changed my own oil since college and don't even ask me how long ago that was).
So, can you help out a newbie?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Just did an oil change at 3750. Oil was sooooo dirty

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands