Just did an oil change at 3750. Oil was sooooo dirty

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just did an oil change at 3750. Oil was sooooo dirty

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Wayne..I have been following this thread (along with a host of others). Never thought of bringing my own stuff to the dealer. That's a great idea and I'll give it a try. While I was lurking I have learned a lot and you (and others) have reduced my panic when the HAH did what I thought were strange things. I'll keep reading and learning.
Rachel in California

Old 01-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by greatracergal
Can I trust Jiffy Lube or other chain for a simple oil change?

No.

Next question.

I wouldn't take my 1976 AMC Pacer there for an oil change and I *HATED* that car so much that when I got rid of it, I just parked it on the side of the road, signed the back of the title, and walked away. (And THAT is some automotive Playa Hate!)

Think about it as the automotive equivalent of trying to decide where to eat lunch, after watching the movie "Super Size Me" They're cheap, they're fast. They're cheap. They have national competitions to see how quickly they can "service" a car. The NASCAR of Customer Service where Richard Petty drives a Yugo convertible.

(hmmm.... after reading that tirade, I want to ask myself "So... other than THAT, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?")

Old 01-10-2006, 06:35 AM
World's First Hybrid

If the HAH is similar to the HCH undercarriage, then there is an air dam/deflector that covers the oil pan and drain plug that needs to be removed. There are plastic clips that hold it onto the car (refer to the owner's manual). I would bet that your local jiffy lube etc would not want to replace the cover after breaking the plastic clips, so out it goes with the trash......

At least the honda dealer has tons of the 1 cent clips on hand to replace any that break...

Old 01-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

Don't despair, the service writers at the dealer just doesn't have a clue!

I faced this same problem. Coupon comes from dealer for $5.00 off oil change,
with asterik. In the fine print, it says "Hybrids $10.00 extra"!!!
I called, they said because the hybrids use special oil. When I informed him that only applied to Civic, he put me on hold, came back and said OK.
Just for fun I called back to speak to someone else, got the same thing.
When I went in for the oil change. the writer I spoke to also didn't know.
The guys in the shop do know, and besides, it's written on the filler cap what type of oil to use.
Go ahead and let the dealer do it, just make sure they only charge for standard oil. My dealer, with coupon, is $24.95. The oil and a filter will cost you at least $15.00 to do yourself.

Good Luck!

Old 01-10-2006, 08:41 AM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
If the HAH is similar to the HCH undercarriage, then there is an air dam/deflector that covers the oil pan and drain plug that needs to be removed. There are plastic clips that hold it onto the car (refer to the owner's manual). I would bet that your local jiffy lube etc would not want to replace the cover after breaking the plastic clips, so out it goes with the trash......

At least the honda dealer has tons of the 1 cent clips on hand to replace any that break...
It's not. It's a regular Accord from the bottom- don't even need to get under the car to change everything- you can reach in from in front of the right wheel.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:58 PM

Yep! Like gonavy says, you don't even have to get under the car. At least, not anything but your arm...

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-hah.4788.html

Old 06-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluesesshomaru17

I am sure Honda uses high quality products for their service departments. Prevents spending more money in free repair costs in the long run, and Honda has always seemed to be a company that cares more about keeping customers and building qualtiy products and making them last. Or maybe it is all the Hondas my friends and I have owned that accumulated over 200-300k and still running.
Honda service departments are free agents - they use whatever they can get in bulk cheap. I would be very surprised if all of them actually used 0W-20 for the Hybrids. I know a few Honda Service Managers very well ...

Old 06-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitaka
I wanted to wait till 7500 miles and do the oil change then. I figured HONDA put the break in additives so I will keep it as recommended. Went to AutoZone and they had Mobil 1 filters on sale and Castrol 5W-20 syntec on sale for 3.99. I bought two filters and some oil. Everything was a good deal. I figured I would wait to change the oil according to manual at 7500, and just replace the filter now. I drive a lot for my job. Short trips around town some NYC driving, some highway. Nothing unusual. It is pretty cold in NJ. When I removed the filter the oil was so bad. Dirty, black you could almost see the particles. I did a quick oil change and converted to the Castrol Synthetic 5w20. Next oil change I will go to 5W 30 I think. I am starting to think that HONDA wants us to wear our engine sooner and buy another car or something. My advice is don't put off first oil change till 7500. CHANGE IT SOONER
If anyone checks the factory oil even on a new car, you'll notice that it's darker than normal brand new oil. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd trust the Honda engineers in Japan whom I spoke to in person on the subject of break in oil - their recomendation was to leave it in for at least 7500 miles and if possible even 10k (though this was before the maintenance minder feature).

Quick Reply: Just did an oil change at 3750. Oil was sooooo dirty

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands