K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default K&N filter

I just changed the stock air filter in my 07 HAH to a K&N (supposedly high flow, high horsepower, high mileage) filter. Unfortunately, I've barely driven the car with the stock filter, so I won't have much to compare it to.

I installed one in my Subaru WRX years ago, but frankly didn't notice much change in anything. I didn't have it for too long though; when I took the car in for 15,000 mile service, they threw it out!

Anyone else have experience with these filters?

Old 09-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: K&N filter

I have had one, the SAME one... one filter in my Dodge Truck for over 100,000 miles. I don't drive it that often since it is a gas hog, but that equals 1 filter purchase in 15 years. I love it. Has saved me both time, effort and money ( of filters ) regardless if it saves any gas or not.

I just put a K&N into my Escape hybrid this year.
I swear it helps MPG a tiny bit at Highway speeds.
I seem to be getting 1-2 MPG more at Highway speeds now.

BTW, you don't HAVE to buy K&N filter oil.
Any clear, light oil will do.
I've used 3-in-1 oil, just 'cause I had it on the shelf, for my Dodge truck, and everything has been fine for years.

I may be more particular with my Hybrid, since it is a more expensive, and more complex vehicle.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have no idea whether economy/power improvements would come with this filter on the HAH. I found no such with the Prius.

However, for balance may I say that the K&N engine air filter has a reputation for letting soil particles pass. The best way to confirm that all is good in your car would be used engine oil analysis. I found a small increase in silicon and none in wear metals. If either of those categories increased markedly, certainly I would set aside the K&N and return to using paper filters.

Even though you have to throw the darn things away! But it's safety first.

DAS

Old 09-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You can do a search online and find tons of results about aftermarket air filters. Several claim their power/mileage increased. Several that say it didn't make any difference. And even a few that say it decreased power/mileage! Who to believe?

From all the testing (not just some knucklehead that said he dropped in the new filter and can now "feel" the increased power) I've seen it all boiled down to one result: Don't buy an aftermarket air filter for it's power/mileage gains. But, buy it to save money in the long run from not having to replace your paper element every 15K miles.

I actually know of a group of people that tested the aftermarket filter claims using different engines and running them on a dynanometer. What they found for Hondas was that the stock filter and air box are designed in such a way that peak power is formed while using them. Using an aftermarket filter did nothing in regards to increasing power. And replacing the air box with an aftermarket one decreased peak power.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:08 AM
Enthusiast

I just put one it my 05 HAH. I checked out K&N's website for information regarding performance curves, mileage claims, and the issue with oil damaging MAF sensors. They have a video set up specifically to address the issue of oil particles passing. K&N obviously defends themselves with this video and they have a convincing case. However, what is most important is that they claim to support their customers 100% in the event that a dealership determines the K&N air filter you put in caused damage. The real question is, how much of a pain in the butt is it to deal with K&N and the dealership when an issue like this arises? Is it more trouble than it's worth? idk.

gpsman1 is right that you don't have to use K&N oil. However, if you don't use there oil I'm positive they won't back their statement about not letting oil pass because you didn't used there product as "recommended."

Last edited by HaulnAce600cc; 09-12-2007 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:19 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: K&N filter

Originally Posted by bar10dah
You can do a search online and find tons of results about aftermarket air filters. Several claim their power/mileage increased. Several that say it didn't make any difference. And even a few that say it decreased power/mileage! Who to believe?

From all the testing (not just some knucklehead that said he dropped in the new filter and can now "feel" the increased power) I've seen it all boiled down to one result: Don't buy an aftermarket air filter for it's power/mileage gains. But, buy it to save money in the long run from not having to replace your paper element every 15K miles.

I actually know of a group of people that tested the aftermarket filter claims using different engines and running them on a dynanometer. What they found for Hondas was that the stock filter and air box are designed in such a way that peak power is formed while using them. Using an aftermarket filter did nothing in regards to increasing power. And replacing the air box with an aftermarket one decreased peak power.
Keith,

I have read the same information about the Honda and changing out the air filter and or air box assembly.

Waste of money.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:21 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: K&N filter

Originally Posted by HaulnAce600cc
I just put one it my 05 HAH. I checked out K&N's website for information regarding performance curves, mileage claims, and the issue with oil damaging MAF sensors. They have a video set up specifically to address the issue of oil particles passing. K&N obviously defends themselves with this video and they have a convincing case. However, what is most important is that they claim to support their customers 100% in the event that a dealership determines the K&N air filter you put in caused damage. The real question is, how much of a pain in the butt is it to deal with K&N and the dealership when an issue like this arises? Is it more trouble than it's worth? idk.
Hi,

Save your money, don't do it. I have had all this stuff over the yrs. and it did nothing but give me "Bragging-Rights" to my Buddies.