Lots of recalibrations

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Lots of recalibrations

My 2005 HAH (43K miles) has been doing a lot of recalibrations lately. I wonder if it can be related to cold weather. I have seen it do this perhaps 3 times within a week, with 2 or 3 iterations like this within the last month or so. That is, after it has recalibrated and settled back to normal behavior, then within another day or two it might do it all over again. Seems like this happens when it has been especially cold, like 10 degrees F (or less), although the recals occur only when the car has been driven a while (i.e., warmed up). I don't remember such multiple recalibrations when the weather is less cold. Anyone else seeing anything like this?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Lots of recalibrations

How do you tell when this happens?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

Here is the sequence of events when I see a recal happening. In summary, I recognize it because there are wild fluctuations in the battery level indicator not attributable to anything else.

0. (Sometimes this step happens but not always.) At 4 bars on the battery indicator, car begins charging while accelerating or driving constant speed (green lights to left of ECO indicator). Under normal circumstances, I never see charging while driving when the battery indicator is at 4 bars.

1. Battery level indicator suddenly jumps from 3 or 4 to 6 bars, even though I have not had any major braking event to cause it to charge up like that.

2. Then after a little more driving, battery level indicator goes down to 1 bar, even though I haven't been doing anything that would obviously eat up battery charge (i.e., no stop-and-go traffic jam with AC running and windshield wipers).

3. Eventually, with braking and more charging while accelerating or driving at constant speed, it recharges to its normal 3 or 4 bar level.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgePBurdell
My 2005 HAH (43K miles) has been doing a lot of recalibrations of auto body part lately. I wonder if it can be related to cold weather. I have seen it do this perhaps 3 times within a week, with 2 or 3 iterations like this within the last month or so. That is, after it has recalibrated and settled back to normal behavior, then within another day or two it might do it all over again. Seems like this happens when it has been especially cold, like 10 degrees F (or less), although the recals occur only when the car has been driven a while (i.e., warmed up). I don't remember such multiple recalibrations when the weather is less cold. Anyone else seeing anything like this?
hmmm, I guess a hybrid does not work well when the weather is cold.. But I still don't get it why you have to recalibrate it every now and then..