my string of luck has run out

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 04:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default my string of luck has run out

East Coast weather-wise, that is. The Ocean and Chesapeake do a wonderful job of dampening the temperature shifts around here. But even they are finite heat sources, especially when a few inches of snow and a NW wind come to town.

The last few days have dropped to the 20s in the AM, 30s in the PM. It should be 40s and 50s- 20s shouldn't rear their collective heads until Jan. My poor HAH hasn't even woken up IMA from its slumber yet when I hit the highway 3 miles into my drive. What was normally 30-32mpg by the time I hit the on-ramp has become 22-24. 40-42mpg at the end has become 36-38. Gee, I can't wait for the Nor'easter conveyor belt to kick in...

Such is the death of my recent almost-summer-like tanks. Sigh. I look forward to 40mpg again sometime in late March.

I know you folks on the interior of the Continent are wondering what the whining is about, and I know it still isn't all that bad, but its disconcerting nevertheless to see such a dramatic and quick drop when the temp goes under 40.

(end of moaning)

Old 12-07-2005, 06:09 AM
my other car is a FJORD
Default Re: my string of luck has run out

Originally Posted by gonavy
East Coast weather-wise, that is. The Ocean and Chesapeake do a wonderful job of dampening the temperature shifts around here. But even they are finite heat sources, especially when a few inches of snow and a NW wind come to town.

The last few days have dropped to the 20s in the AM, 30s in the PM. It should be 40s and 50s- 20s shouldn't rear their collective heads until Jan. My poor HAH hasn't even woken up IMA from its slumber yet when I hit the highway 3 miles into my drive. What was normally 30-32mpg by the time I hit the on-ramp has become 22-24. 40-42mpg at the end has become 36-38. Gee, I can't wait for the Nor'easter conveyor belt to kick in...

Such is the death of my recent almost-summer-like tanks. Sigh. I look forward to 40mpg again sometime in late March.

I know you folks on the interior of the Continent are wondering what the whining is about, and I know it still isn't all that bad, but its disconcerting nevertheless to see such a dramatic and quick drop when the temp goes under 40.

(end of moaning)

i feel your pain and understand your whine. we have been in the single digits for a week, and below zero at night. i am lucky to see 48 mpg on my display (HCH) after getting up near 60 since i bought the car. not only that, it's DARN cold!!! sigh

Old 12-07-2005, 06:37 AM
Banned
Default I Must Be Spoiled

Along with your story, I've read xcel's and laurie's thread of Old Man Winter taking a big hit on fuel economy - no fun. I can recal some past very windy/rainy days FE takes a 20% hit.

It's below freezing in Dallas, but so far road conditions are good. Since it's mostly freeway driving, the FE hit has been small so far.

This afternoon, rain/snow/sleet is going to hit, so things will change...

Old 12-07-2005, 07:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Id Kill to see 20 again. Its 9am here in chicago and its finally warmed up to 2 if it hits 10 today i might put on my swim trunks! my 05 prius has taken a dramatic dive in FE when it was 70-80 out i could squeeze 52 mpg out now im lucky if i se 39. (still better than the 17 with the pacifica though) Hey anone want to buy a nice Pacifica? lol keep warm all. Dean

Old 12-07-2005, 10:23 AM

19F in Albuquerque this morning. Very dry though, and no wind, so not painful. Morning MPG was low 50's, compared to low 70's when the climate is temperate.

Even though I have not turned on the AC yet, the Prius turned on the ICE on multiple occasions at stoplights even with SOC above 4 bars. I also have this /very/ distinct feeling that the distance the car can coast has dropped quite a bit, even though the roads are dry and my tires are at sidewall maximum rated pressures.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:12 AM

When I left home for work today it was 0F. Inside the car it was a balmy 75F. I love remote start in the winter. However, imagine what you are getting and subtract 5mpg. Thats what I am getting in my civic.

4 more months to go and counting.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:38 PM

Hi All:

___Just one sentence … These below 0 temperatures SUCK

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 12-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I keep my HCH in a heated garage and despite the 14 degree temperature outside I still am showing 71.1 mpg on the dash display with 500 plus mile and ¾ of a tank left, this could change tomorrow, snow is in the forecast.

Last edited by HCH03; 12-08-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:33 PM

heated garage...cool