Navigation Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 07:09 AM
We have an Accord!
Default Navigation Radio Question

I am a Hybrid Honda Accord owner and I am a, oh wait that is for the AA, LOL, I just joined the Hybrid ranks so I now have a Hybrid Accord and a Dodge Diesel Ram that gets over 20 MPG when driven in a reasonable manner.

I just bought a 2006 Accord Hybrid without navigation, it was the only one the dealer had on the lot.

If I wanted to upgrade to the factory navigation radio are all the plug in and harness wires already there and would the GPS antenna already be in the car or would this be a major under taking?

I would like to get the Honda navigation radio but don't want to get involved in a major project to do it.

Also why does the Hybrid Accord have antenna that sticks up (for GPS?) and the non Hybrid Accord has the Flat antenna?

Old 08-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Navigation Radio Question

It's a pain in the butt to install the navigation unit on a non-navi Accord, according to many people. It's not a simple swap of the headunit. Lots of stuff to do. You gotta run wires...etc. Would have been better if you just bought the car with navi.

I believe the flat antenna is for XM on the normal Accords. But here in Canada, we don't get the XM option. As for our antenna that sticks up, that's our antenna for radio. Normal Accords have them in their rear window. But for us, it sticks up there because of interference from the battery.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Navigation Radio Question

The high antenna is for Hybrids. Non-hybrids have the antenna built into the back glass on the lowe 1/3 of the glass. Because of the NiMh batteries behind the back seat of the Accord Hybrids, the vent behind the back seat intereferes with the signal, therefore, the hybrids have the regular antenna. The flat portion on the roof that is seen on most Accords is for XM though.