Safety of forced auto stop (FAS) and rebooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Safety of forced auto stop (FAS) and rebooting

There appear to be safety issues with a forced auto stop. Can anyone share experiences and maybe explain in a little more detail whether it helps or not.

Isn't that a little overkill? Is it worth the trouble?

Looks like the defs. in the glossary of FAS and rebooting are effectively the same - is that correct?

Old 08-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Safety of forced auto stop (FAS) and rebooting

Hi Weyus:

___This has been discussed many times in the past … You still have steering and you still have brakes. You do not have any propulsion until the ICE is re-started and the tranny re-engaged. Use it with caution indeed. Does it work? Yes it does as seen in the link(s) below

___A reboot is taking the electronics from on to off to on. The shift to neutral at speed, stable idle, reboot, restart, re-engage the tranny at speed or stop and continue is a FAS.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-01-2005, 04:03 AM

Luckily the Prius isn't quite as complicated, although you do have to learn the feathering technique if you want to coast without regen.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:12 PM

Hi Schwa:

___Except you cannot avoid regen/ICE spin up above 41 mph in any of the Prius I/III/HH/RXh from my understanding and experience. Once Toyota straightens this out with a higher RPM capable MGSets(s), the Prius III/Camry HSD/Toyota whatever is going to receive a very nice increase in the EPA’s highway test as well!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 09-01-2005, 06:43 PM

Question posed to the Accord FASers out there... I might have a problem with my tranny:

- get to hillcrest or wherever I want to coast.
- I go to neutral, wait for steady state, shut off & reboot.
- coast...
- done w/ coast, I turn the key, start the engine, wait for steady state.
- match RPM (or not- same thing below happens), put it back in gear.
- about 2/3 of the time the car falls into 3rd gear...suddenly I'm lurching up to 3500rpm at 65mph. It is not possible to get out of 3rd without stopping the car, turning off the engine and starting from a stop. The maintenance light flashes for a few seconds longer than the lampcheck interval when I start back up now, then goes away.

- this happens at any speed over 3rd gear range, aout 2/3 of the time. Lower speed, never a problem.

Its as though, if the car is going faster than the 3rd gear range, it is unable to select the proper high gear, or get there at all after a FAS. This does not happen with merely neutral coasting- only after FAS. It acts almost like a twisted sort of interlock.

thoughts? Intelligent way to pose this to a service dept without telling them that I restart the engine at 65mph? The slightly lingering service light has me nervous- need to put a scanner on that.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:08 PM

Hi GoNavy:

___I believe I posted in the other AH hypermiling thread about the AH’s tranny not allowing OD after a fast moving FAS 75 + % of the time unfortunately The only way to perform a FAS in the AH properly was to perform it when you knew you were coming to an almost complete stop (or actual stop ) at a sign, light, toll-booth, or slow moving/stopped dead nightmare of a traffic jam up ahead. IIRC, you could perform a FAS from and to any speed when cold but that didn’t last long. I had the same frustrating experience as you so it is not the car, it is the AH’s tranny design …

___Either way, I would still use a FAS for all complete stops as the AH’s regular AS shuts down the ICE at way to low a speed to do much good given a mile + long free coast has to be available to just about everybody at sometime and somewhere.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 09-02-2005, 04:38 AM

thanks. Good to know its a design 'feature' and not my vehicle in particular. I recall your review after driving G&B's HAH, but missed the limitation part.

So FAS only when certainly coming way down in speed, it is. .