05 HCH Resale Value

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default 05 HCH Resale Value

I looked and looked but couldn't find a thread addressing specifically this, but I apologize in advance if I'm rehashing.

Does anyone know what the resale value of a 2005 HCH, or any HCH for that matter, is right now? Has anyone that knows the Blue Book value of an HCH noticed if there've been any fluctuations since the gas hikes began?

I'm curious because while I'm in love with my car, I'm wondering if the point will come when those hybrids built for mileage and not power (HCH, Prius I and II, Insight), that have less than, say, 10k or 15k miles on them, might actually resell for more than sticker as the demand rockets upward and the dealerships start to run dry. When I bought my 05 HCH in late April, there were several key factors that went into my selection over a Prius, but a main one was the simple fact that at the time, there was not a dealer in the entire city of Jacksonville, FL, who had a new Prius II on the lot, nor would for another month. I know there are areas where available HCHs are becomming scarce, too.

Old 08-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 05 HCH Resale Value

I doubt that a used one would go anywhere near retail now. There are still some of the new ones on the car lots. A month or so back they were not really selling fast, but now are moving off the lots without discounting.
I just researched values as I got my tax notice and they taxed it at MSRP value, which I did not pay several months ago. One just sold on eBay for $17,601 with 8K on it. Another did not sell and stopped at $15,100. Edmunds is quoting around $18,000 for a used one. I would say that this range is a good figure for now. Will drop as the 06 ones become available and most folks will opt for the new 06 body style. Hope it looks beter in person than the photos I have seen.

Old 08-28-2005, 02:04 PM

Weird, I just spent 10 minutes on the Kelley Blue Book site and while they quote every imaginable model of the Civic in both 4 door and 2, they fail to list the hybrid for any year.

Old 08-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Helterskelter683:

___Not that this is much a data point in regards to the HCH but the Insight w/ a 5-speed’s residual actually increased between late 03 and early this year. I purchased my 00 w/ A/C in December of 03 w/ a 7/100 and just 28K miles on the clock from a Honda dealership for exactly $10K. I sold the same for $9,695 just 1.33 years later with > 65K on the clock. The low mileage ones (30K miles or less) were selling in the $11 - 12K range when I sold mine. Gas prices at the time of purchase were $1.279 locally. Gas prices at time of sale were $2.329 locally which had everything to do with it. I have to imagine this type of residual increase has continued now that we are pushing $3.00 per today. How that relates to the HCH, I do not know but I wouldn’t expect you would take too much of a hit on a sale …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 08-28-2005, 04:18 PM

Thanks Xcel. Sounds like you made out nicely in more ways than FE in your lil red Insight. What you've said I would have to suspect is becomming true with all major mileage models. The more hybrids people want to buy off lots, the more return folks in the private market could get for theirs. Not that I'm planning on parting with mine anytime soon.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

But most of us would not be happy with any car but a hybrid... thus it has no real relevance :-)

Unless you are on the fence regarding your hybrid. I plan on keeping mine until it dies... soooo looking forward to paying off my loan on the thing.

Originally Posted by helterskelter683
Thanks Xcel. Sounds like you made out nicely in more ways than FE in your lil red Insight. What you've said I would have to suspect is becomming true with all major mileage models. The more hybrids people want to buy off lots, the more return folks in the private market could get for theirs. Not that I'm planning on parting with mine anytime soon.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:55 AM

True but the next car I buy will be a hybrid regardless, so it's still most certainly relevant for me.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:44 AM

Hmm, you're looking to divine a number from a very very small data set. What you propose is possible- demand driving the used market price up.

KBB doesn't list a vehicle until there's enough data to give a solid number. It lists '04 HCH, though.

Try carmax.com- they usually have a few 03/04s for sale, some with low miles, and you can extrapolate from there.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:44 AM

I got my 2004 HCH as a USED car in July 2004 for $19,324. The MSRP was about $21,500 for a new 2004. All indications I have seen are that the Hybrids are holding their resale value VERY well.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

When I recently considered changing to the HAH (July), I had a Honda dealership offer me $15,000 even for my 03 HCH CVT (40K miles) in trade. I'm certain that's influenced by the fact the HAH was at full sticker, but I thought it was fairly remarkable for a car I paid $21K for three years ago.

Quick Reply: 05 HCH Resale Value

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands