06 civic hybrid mpg update

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 civic hybrid mpg update

The whole expansion argument definitely depends upon temperature differentials between gas in the ground and in your tank. Although any expansion of the gasoline would also cause any gasoline vapors within the neck to also be pushed out.

Looks like the EPA agrees that you shouldn't top off your tank

http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/

-as a quick aside (not trying to be a smart aleck here), but just because something has been done for 40 years, doesn't make it correct. If you look at history, how many things have been done for hundreds of years, that were later shown to be wrong/unethical?

DKeane

Last edited by dkeane; 12-20-2005 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added another thought
Old 12-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Or,

maybe we can ask the millitary to resupply our hybrids WHILE we are rolling (like refuelling a B52 in flight). That way, we can keep moving in a glide (or even better, an EV glide!) AND benefit from drafting! Ah, the savings

Steph.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:50 AM

I usually "coast" at FAS or normal AutoStop into the Sam's pump area, but sure, I concede to burning a tiny, miniscule amount of gas when I pull out from the pump.

But that, in my opinion, is better for the environment than spilling a smidge of gas or releasing extra fumes by topping off. And although we THINK that "not topping off" is harmless to the vehicle, we are pretty much SURE that the EPA has said that topping off is bad both for the car and for the environment.

Wayne, I don't really want to get into this, as we would just be rehashing a "two stubborn guys" discussion from a previous time and place.....

Hey, I'm not going to attempt to influence anyone to change either way, but I do have my opinion on the least damaging procedure, and just as Wayne will, I'm sticking with it until the end.....

If you are a fan of topping off, feel free. If you aren't, feel free not to do so.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast

Lets say you have to pull in 400' round trip to get gasoline...at $3.00 a gallon, 50 mpg and filling up twice a week....it would cost $0.009. So the real question is - is the extra cost (1 cent) and saved time of not pulling into the gas station worth the risk of clogging up the cars vapor recovery system? Not to mention the increased chance of environmental and also personal exposure to toxic chemicals? Benzene, Toluene, Xylenes and ethylbenzene are contained within gasoline and are all carcinogens.

Now when I was younger (early 20's), I topped off the tank also. If I remember, it was primarily because I didn't want to stop for gas as often, which I would now identify as laziness. Seems like a more valid argument than any potential cost savings.

DKeane

Old 12-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: 06 civic hybrid mpg update

Originally Posted by dkeane
Not to mention the increased chance of environmental and also personal exposure to toxic chemicals? Benzene, Toluene, Xylenes and ethylbenzene are contained within gasoline and are all carcinogens.DKeane
Well, those who would disagree due to hypermiling status maintenance will only continue to 2-dimensionally define themselves that way. Thinking, reasoning members of society will do the right thing, weighing the pros and cons.

Merry ChristKwanzUkah, everyone!

Don

Old 12-20-2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi All:

___Do top off if possible or you are wasting gas by driving to the gas station that many more times per month. Why would anyone here want to waste gas here?

___PZEV vs. non is sealed vapor and recovery design but it is not while filling. Both variants filler necks are open to the atmosphere while filling as there is no liquid ball check at the nozzle in the fill line. Many stations in many states use the vapor recovery nozzles and although I cannot stand the things, they do fill a very valid purpose.
If the vapor recovery system fills a very valid purpose (which I think it does) then why defeat it by topping off? AFAIK, the notion that fuel feeds back into the station's tanks is far fetched. What really happens when you try to top off is that you have to partly lift the nozzle out of your fill pipe. Otherwise it clicks off as soon as you pull the trigger. The vapor recovery system needs a tight fit on your fill pipe to work. Once you lift the nozzle you're allowing vapors to escape into the atmosphere.

___Do you have to pull off a 100’ to the pump? 200 + ft. round trip? More? Are you not using fuel to pull into and out of a gas station?
Ah, more trivial pursuit.

... NG based Civic w/ PHIL. Home refueling (NG/H2/Electricity) in the future will take care of this problem more then likely?
Those PHIL home gas pumps for the Civic GX are priced outrageously at about $3000. Do you know how much CNG you can fill at a station for that kind of money? I've seriously considered buying a GX and I know there's no way on earth I'm going to pay that kind of money for a home filling station. I'd consider it for 10% of that price. Otherwise I will drive the extra 1/4 mile to the nearest CNG filling station every time. Sorry, I'm not going to pour my hard earned cash straight into some corporation's bottom line.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
Those PHIL home gas pumps for the Civic GX are priced outrageously at about $3000.
I've read that the state of California subsidizes at least part of the cost. Is that $3000 after the subsidy?

Old 12-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
I've read that the state of California subsidizes at least part of the cost. Is that $3000 after the subsidy?
I read that too that there is a subsidy however, I thought I read most recently that the Phill station is now free to residents of California on behalf of Calf. governemt. Am I wrong?

Old 12-20-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic
I read that too that there is a subsidy however, I thought I read most recently that the Phill station is now free to residents of California on behalf of Calf. governemt. Am I wrong?
Haven't heard that. It's certainly worth checking.

I just checked the Honda web site and the Phill website -
http://www.myphill.com/purchase.htm
Neither mentions any kind of subsidy.

Quick Reply: 06 civic hybrid mpg update

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands