06 civic hybrid mpg update

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 civic hybrid mpg update

Here's an article that talks about it:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102802

Honda started leasing its home natural gas refueling appliance, called Phill, to consumers in April at an average cost of about $69 a month. The California subsidy brings the monthly cost down to $39.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
Here's an article that talks about it:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102802

Honda started leasing its home natural gas refueling appliance, called Phill, to consumers in April at an average cost of about $69 a month. The California subsidy brings the monthly cost down to $39.
Thanks. Well, even with the subsidy the monthly lease for the appliance costs more than the gas.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

There are tax credits available for the GX to reduce the installation cost to $1000... also the natural gas at your house will be much cheaper than what they sell at the CNG filling station.

Of course you must own your own home, and furthermore you should plan on being there for the lifetime of the vehicle...

Originally Posted by ElanC

Those PHIL home gas pumps for the Civic GX are priced outrageously at about $3000. Do you know how much CNG you can fill at a station for that kind of money? I've seriously considered buying a GX and I know there's no way on earth I'm going to pay that kind of money for a home filling station. I'd consider it for 10% of that price. Otherwise I will drive the extra 1/4 mile to the nearest CNG filling station every time. Sorry, I'm not going to pour my hard earned cash straight into some corporation's bottom line.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blueskies
There are tax credits available for the GX to reduce the installation cost to $1000... also the natural gas at your house will be much cheaper than what they sell at the CNG filling station.
Is that just the installation cost or including the pump itself?

I've searched and have not found any official information about tax credits for PHILL, other than the AutoWeek link provided by NASAgineer. There's nothing on the California state web sites.

It's true that in-home gas is somewhat cheaper than at a public refueling station (and generally CNG costs about half of gasoline for the same miles driven). From research I did a while back I think the difference between in-home and public is in the 20% ballpark. You pay a lot of it back in the power consumption of the PHILL pump - 800 watts x 12 hours for a full tank.

Anyhow, it's all hypothetical because I prefer to get a HCH over a GX.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

don't top off b/c it won't give better calculations. it shouldn't affect calculations if you avoid topping off consistently. they key is consistency of how you measure, how how you refuel (this means if you top off, you have to top off again to get accurate calculations).