06 HCHII Leather Steering Wheel Cover Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default 06 HCHII Leather Steering Wheel Cover Question

I hope this does not come off as a dumb question but I bought a factory leather steering wheel cover for my 06 hch II and would like to know if anyone had installed one before or did you have the dealer install it for you. I read the directions but have no idea how to install in properly along with never having any experience with sewing. Does anyone know a dealer in Socal that has ever installed one and looks great. I called one dealer in Moreno Valley and they said they do not install them and to take it to a sewing shop. When I heard that I was thinking to myself "is he serious". I thought whatever honda sold they install in it. Please I'm in dire need of help.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 HCHII Leather Steering Wheel Cover Question

I tried once.
I gave up.

Pay an expert.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:11 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

I ordered my cover in December and read through the instructions. It is more involved than any other Honda cover that I have installed (12 of them). This is due to the adhesive that is used by the large spokes. After installing so many of them, I have gotten to where it only takes me about 30 minutes. I'll let you know when I install it on my car...hopefully soon.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:46 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I've done it twice - both successful. Like you, my dealer would not do it for me - took me about an hour, which for them what, $200?

Although the 06 sounds more complicated, this thread has some good instructions (but not for an 06):
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...over.4815.html

I recall someone saying there was a preferred place to start, but I can't recall. I started at the bottom of the wheel. I pushed the needle through the front hole, then the back hole, then around the top and repeat.
Couple tips that worked for me - one is I used needle nosed pliers to pull the needle through. This process is very hard on your fingers. The wax coating on the thread also makes the needle slippery, so the pliers helped. I pulled the stiches tight, but I didn't pull "grunting and groaning" hard. I broke the thread once - that pretty much ends your adventure there. Luckily it was a cheap after-market and I wasn't out too much money. I've never broken the thread on a Honda one however, but I'm a bit more careful now.

Things to watch are keeping the seam centered on the inside of the wheel (so it's not twisting). The spokes are a bit hard to navigate - just make sure the thread goes behind the spoke as you work around. Aside from all that, it takes a bit of time. Good lighting will also help. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2006, 11:16 AM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

I posted my installation experience here. https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...hlight=leather

I, too, have never broken the thread with a Honda cover. The key is to keep the thread tight so that the edges touch and there is no gap.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the tips and advise but, I fought a place that actually installs factory honda leather steering wheel covers. They are located in Ontario, CA. Their called Dealers Auto Trim. Here's the funny thing, if I would of taken it to the honda dealership in ontario, they would of charged me $83 plus tax. At Dealers Auto Trim they said $55 out the door. They said they actually to the steering wheel covers for honda of Ontario and charge them $75. lol Hopefully it looks good when it is installed.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:50 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

I installed my Leather Steering Wheel Cover yesterday. Start to finish was 35 Minutes including having to re-do some of the threading since I was "off a hole" after going around a spoke and I didn't notice until I got to a seam. But it was no big deal to pull out some of the threading and get going again. It wasn't any more difficult than any of the other Honda covers I have installed.

I must say that it looks very good and fits tighter around the spokes than the other covers I've put on since they have cut the leather to form fit better.

Anyway, for those that are concerned with self installing, don't worry. It was an easy job.

One thing to note: They are using a new thread from "last time". It is a more like a woven nylon webbing that is much easier to handle (less tangles) and easier to pull tight.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:54 PM
YA RLY.

Mochosushi, how well does the leather color match the black of the steering wheel hub and dash?

Old 02-06-2006, 09:01 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

I think it matches very nicely with the hub and dash. It a textured leather, not smooth like the one on my Ody, so that is why I think it matches the hub so well. Feels quite nice. Even though I didn't think the wheel was bad without it, I'm glad I put it on.