17 mph with Autostop On

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 17 mph with Autostop On

Originally Posted by dkeane
Not sure if anyone has experienced this. I was in traffic in Boston on a downhill slope. Autostop had come on due to the backup and when the cars started moving again, I let off of the brakes by about 90%. The autostop stayed on and I was able to coast with the engine off for about 1/4 mile. After that I hit a flat area and I had to let off the brake entirely.
Come to think of it, this may not be the best strategy for coasting down a long moderate slope. If you let your foot off the brake pedal completely and let the engine start, then as you coast downhill the engine will go into valves-shut mode. It will spin while consuming no gas. Then if you press on the brake pedal again you'll be using regen to slow down instead of using the brakes. And if you need a bit more speed you can press gently on the accelerator and drive in EV mode.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Rarely post anything

Originally Posted by billyt1963
On another note. I think the auto-stop must work on the break (fluid?) pressure. I have pushed the break down at a light while stretching. When I let the break back up to normal, the car starts. Any one else see this?
billyt - it's the usage of the brake vacuum, not the fluid itself. When you depress the brake like that, you're using up the stored vacuum in the brake system. IMA detects this, and restarts the engine.

The only reason I can think of for doing that, is that it's a potential safety issue. But I'm sure someone will come along and give a better answer as to the necessity of 'why'

Old 03-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mark,

Thanks for the correction.

Billy

Old 03-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billyt1963
is cool, but you have to watch if you let the car re-start while moving. I have heard some loud noises if I am going too fast.
On my 06 HCH2 I have had AS come on during rush hour bumper to bumper here in Los Angeles. When gliding down a hill on the freeway, if the ICE kicks back on during the glide, the engine kicks the car when it starts. It doesn't sound or feel healthy. Anyone else notice this?

Because of that experience, I no longer allow my car to roll with the AS on. Instead I try to keep the engine on but the vehicle in EV mode. Now that I have driven my car for about 4 months now, I have started mastering the technique of staying in EV mode in heavy traffic. (Watch your MPG skyrocket in 30mph traffic). It's when I have to drive 70 that mpg drops. (The avg speed in Southern California is about 80-85 mph on the freeway).