1st time breaking 60mpg

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 1st time breaking 60mpg

If I can do it, anyone can. Well you might need a semi decent route with low traffic. Car still has break-in oil in it, only 2,000 miles on it. Tires pumped up to 40 PSI and temperature was in the mid 50s I think. 63.8mpg over 30.3 miles, during my morning commute around 5:15am on March 29th.

I don't think I did any real P&G or any special tricks/techniques (no drafting) minus driving 55-62mph on flat stretches, dipping down to as low as 48mph when I would bleed off speed going up hills. I got up to the mid 70s a few times going down hills, where I would then get into EV glide until I got back down to 55-62mph.

I know this won't impress any seasoned hypermilers but atleast now I know I can do it, with the engine breaking in and warmer temps it should be fun trying for it again.

Old 04-03-2006, 05:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 1st time breaking 60mpg

That is pretty good. I managed 60 mpg on a 70 mile trip in 70* weather about two weeks ago with only 1300 miles on the car. The only way I acheieved that spectacular mileage was riding behind a semi going 68.

Good work

Old 04-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Great Job.

It's fun, isn't it?

Old 04-03-2006, 08:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think that my favorite part about owning mine is seeing just how well I can do on the MPG. Congratulations.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
Great Job.

It's fun, isn't it?
Thanx Kenny, and it's fun only when I have enough time to get to work ontime while traveling at those slower speeds. It probably only lengthens my commute time by 7-8 minutes or so, but I'm paranoid about being late and I really don't want to wake up any earlier than I have to since I'm up at 4:30am.

JJ - I'm paranoid about drafting too close to bigger vehicles about rock chips and not being able to see, but I'd played with it a little bit. I really want to get out on the highway with a friend and draft him NASCAR style (minus the rubbing/bumping).

Clyde - I'm glad I have this photo now to show people that I can actually get better than the EPA estimates in my hybrid. Keeping track of your gasmilage on this site is also great for that too, even though I'm slightly under EPA ratings I'm not disappointed in the least bit. Still a fairly new car with 2,500 miles on it now, weather still warming up, learning to pick better routes, how to get into ev glide mode more often, ect ect.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Very nice. I just got mine about 3 weeks ago, and hopefully I'll be able to post some similar numbers before too long. My drive is a little more hilly in places, though, so it might be a bit more of a challenge. One question... Did you use the cruise control at all, or just fancy footwork?

Old 04-03-2006, 11:53 AM
PCK
Active Enthusiast

Good going keep it up.......

Old 04-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

mmrmnhrm - No cruise control (that would allow for gaining speed downhill and bleeding off speed going up hill), just fancy foot work. I live in Kansas but trust me this part (around Kansas City) isn't as flat as you may think.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hmm, well the first pic with 62.7mpg is from Thursday the 6th and the 61.5mpg is from Friday the 7th. I think I tried to "hypermile" just as hard on those two days as I did last week when I got 63.8mpg. I changed the oil to a full synthetic inbetween the 1st and 2nd tries, but also noticed my tire pressure dropped from 40-44PSI down to 38 PSI...gotta pump those babies back up. On the 2nd two tries I also DWL/"coasted" (I think) on a few down hill sections instead of going into electric glid mode...to see if I could tell a difference in mpg, guess I couldn't really.

I'm definately breaking 50mpg on this tank, all 3 "hyper mile" commutes are during the morning, afternoon commutes have been around 47 mpg...not trying to hypermile really, driving faster to keep up with traffic (not much traffic at 5:10-5:40am during the morning commute). In the city I'm averaged mid to high 50s all day long now, the only thing that hurts me with sub 50mpg segments are cold engines on initial start ups, which are being reduced thanx to warmer weather and the slight sub 50mpg afternoon commutes where the road & traffic just don't cooperate as much.