2009 Civic Hybrid - Rattling sound coming from Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 Civic Hybrid - Rattling sound coming from Steering wheel

I just leased a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid about a month ago. Recently, with the hot summer weather, I have started noticing a rattling/clicking sound coming from the front/top region of the center of the steering wheel. It is especially evident when the interior of the car gets hot (after being parked for awhile), when going over bumps and/or turning the steering wheel more than a few degrees. It appears to be an issue with the front cover of the steering wheel (where you push for the horn, and where the Honda emblem is). Not sure what it is. Has anybody else heard this rattle/clicking noise? It could almost be described as a plasticy squeeky rattle. I will likely take it to the dealership to see if they can do anything about it.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Civic Hybrid - Rattling sound coming from Steering wheel

I haven't heard such a thing, but will keep an ear out for it.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:10 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Does you civic have fog lights installed?? - If you do - the mechanic that installed them did not replace the light switch correctly and you have the rattle from an improper replacement of the light switch on the steering column. The light stalk on the civic gets replaced for fog lights. A loose screw or not following the detailed instructions can cause rattles at some speeds / road conditions.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Enthusiast

I just got my 09 this weekend and I have noticed the same exact thing. It seems to be coming from the steering column.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Enthusiast

joerockt - Since I made this post, I have narrowed the sound down to the something in the front cover of the steering wheel where you push on the cover to honk the horn. If I kind of push that thing forward ever so slightly from the top side, but not enough to honk the horn, you can hear the same sound.. it's sort of like a squeeking/creaking sound ... almost like it's the spring that is attached to that cover behind it for the horn operation. Anyway, the sound usually goes away once the car is cool inside, but if it's really hot (like it has been here in Seattle for like two weeks) whatever it is making the sound must expand and makes a lot more noise. I haven't taken it into the dealership yet. If you do, let me know what they said, and if they could do anything about it.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast

I have an 08 HCH that had the same rattling/creaking/electrical sound coming from the steering wheel. If you rock the air bag (center part of the streeing wheel) from the top part down you'll hear the sound. I was able to hear it without the car being on.
When you take it into your dealership make sure you show them how you're able to replicate it without even driving, because they will try to drive it and try to recreate it... and if you have a stubborn dealership like mine, they will return it without any repairs.
Long story short, they finally pulled the airbag out and placed some foam stuff inside of it to fix the noise.
Hope this helps!

Old 08-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by forfakes
I have an 08 HCH that had the same rattling/creaking/electrical sound coming from the steering wheel. If you rock the air bag (center part of the streeing wheel) from the top part down you'll hear the sound. I was able to hear it without the car being on.
When you take it into your dealership make sure you show them how you're able to replicate it without even driving, because they will try to drive it and try to recreate it... and if you have a stubborn dealership like mine, they will return it without any repairs.
Long story short, they finally pulled the airbag out and placed some foam stuff inside of it to fix the noise.
Hope this helps!
Yup, I can replicate the noise no problem. I'll be taking it to the dealer this week. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast

joerckt - Were they able to fix the issue at the dealer? Let me know, I plan on taking mine in next week to see what they can do.

Also, my low-tire pressure light just came on the other day for some reason... I went to the gas station and made sure all my tires were properly inflated to the recommended psi, and the light is still on. hmm....

Old 08-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Enthusiast

Took it into the dealer today. They took apart the entire airbag cage in the front of the steering wheel. When they put it back together, they added some sort of foam inbetween two plastic parts that were apparently rubbing together causing the creeking sound. Seems to be ok for now, but we'll see with time.