800 Miles, One Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default 800 Miles, One Tank

Today, I completed my first 800 mile tank (810 to be specific). My display showed 62.8 mpg and the cacluated mpg was 63.1. This was distorted because the previous tank was filled beyond the first click and showed 57.9 with a 54.6 calculated.

If you average the two tanks, 1514 miles using 25.7 gallons, you get 58.9... which compares favorably with the last seven or so tanks in the database on my car.

Whilst this may be small beans for some ultra-hypermilers, I am fairly pleased with the mileage over the past three months. I could not have done it without the help of other hypermilers. My lpmg is going up by about .2 mpg a tank, which I know will start to lessen as I approach the short term average that I accomplished for the past several months.

I am not sure that I can press, push, or punch much more out of this, without reducing my highway speed from the speed limit of 65. In NJ, just doing the speed limit is like taking your life in your own hands, so going 55 or 60 is a safety issue.

I have tried a couple of alternative routes using country roads, however, that is a true dice roll because a lumbering tractor on the road can kill a tank rather quickly.

The question I am posing, therefore, is: Have I pushed my HCH to the limits within the commute I have?

Hmm.

Here is a summary of what I have/do:
Round trip to work, 56 miles. 35 miles on interstate, 15 miles on country roads, 5 miles on city roads
At the next oil change (less than 2k away) I am changing to full synthetic 0w-20.
At the next oil change I will change the air filter.
My tires are at 44 psi, the sidewall limit.
I use reboot whenever safe.
I use the A/C sparingly and strategically.

See the OSD

Old 08-14-2005, 05:39 AM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: 800 Miles, One Tank

Good Job!! My limit for a tank was 750 then I got scared as I've burnt up a fuel pump in another car from running it too low on gas.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Charlie, you're doing wonderful, you're already far exceeding the EPA!

Look what you are already doing. I noticed in the database that you began in the upper 40's, worked your way through the 50's and now in the 60's.

You've obviously learned alot and applying your knowledge in your drives and the only thing I could add is not to get too comfortable in what you are currently doing.

My case in point is that I lingered in the 50's way too long and got comfortable.
Then Lakedude and rjbarlow showed up here and knocked me off my comfy chair and indeed, I was not as efficient as could be. (Thanks Dudes, really)

So here I am today also thinking I'm doing everything I can. But am I really?
Somehow I doubt it.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:15 AM
HCH Enthusist

I have one question for ya ..... what is

"i use reboot whenever safe" ??

Thanks

Old 08-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I'll add a question to Gecko483 - I *think* reboot is when you put the car in neutral and turn off the engine and coast down hills and such. However I'll let someone else give you the right answer. If that answer is correct, my additional question is what about regenerative braking? I tried this on a hill last week, and noticed I didn't get any recharge with the engine off (which I'd expect). However, I missed a big recharge opportunity and paid for it in the flats when I had to recharge off the engine. Is that just part of rebotting?

Old 08-15-2005, 10:29 AM

You don't get regen when you reboot. You shouldn't do it all the time. Be selective with rebooting. I tend to only reboot when my state of charge is greater than 1/2.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I try to manage the reboots very carefully. 1/2 is a good rule to follow.
At the bottom of a hill, I will engage the engine to brake the car, not wasting the regen opportunity.

So my original statement should be modified to read:

I use reboot whenvever safe and strategically.